I moved to a condo without land, how can I keep my trees/plants alive in pots?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Imperfect Ending, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Imperfect Ending

Imperfect Ending Active Member

So I am inlove with my garden from my older condo, but sadly I had to move [since June 2009]. I had tons of plants in the ground that I had/wanted to dig up and bring with me, sadly I had to leave my Flowering Almond bush behind ( maybe it's for the best for the bush ).

So far about five of about 25 plants died, but I still have tons of plants I want to care for and want to have them around with me forever. [ Here's hoping I get a place with planting ground soon. ]

Sad part is they're mostly trees and bushes that "shouldn't" remain potted.
    This spring I saw tons of blossoms from them though and they're all leafing out at the moment and looking healthy- except for my flowering peach that I'm trying to find what its illness is. ( so if anyone can also help me with that, I'd appreciate it a lot. )

The plants I am most concerned about would be :

All trees
    -(Prunus Serrulata) Flowering Cherry
    -(Prunus Blireiana) Flowering Plum x Apricot
    -(Prunus Mume) Flowering Apricot
    -(Prunus Cerasifera) Flowering Plum
    -(Prunus Persica) Flowering Peach

I've seen some of these as large bonsais before, Is it possible to grow them in a pot for now? Maybe for another five years? 10? I don't know when I'll be able to get a new place WITH planting ground again.

What do you guys suggest?

Thank you.

P.S. Sorry if my story is confusing. I have a feeling my grammar is off tonight.

2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

10 years can be a lifetime for many prunus species in warm climates.
    I'd only try to containerize a plant if you feel it couldn't be repurchased
    when you finally have a place of your own to plant them permanently.

3. Imperfect Ending

There's only one place that I know of that I could find these plants and it's about an hour away. Otherwise I would have left them all at the old house

4. Dave-Florida

Dave-Florida Active Member

Should you migrate away from Prunus (which certainly offers bonsai possibilities), your warm climate offers a lot of possibilities for pot plants.

You might check for Chinese techniques for growing plants in pots. I'm not at all familiar with Chinese gardening, other than two books by Peter Valder from Timber Press, but there seems to be a tradition of growing woody plants in containers.

5. Imperfect Ending

6. StorageShedSmart

StorageShedSmart Member

It is really sad to see your plants die when you have taken care of them for years. I think there is no other way for you to keep those plants but to put them in containers especially that you have no land in your new condo. If you've seen that those trees have the possibility to become a bonsai then you could also probably do it. Oh, I also have another suggestion. Maybe you can ask a friend you know who has planting ground and who is also fond of gardening, to take care of the trees for the meantime. Maybe you can have these placed in pots or replant them if it's possible. Would this be possible for you?

----------------
    Mary Henderson
    Publisher, StorageSheds360.com

7. Dave-Florida

Dave-Florida Active Member

Imperfect Ending's photo reminds me of seeing lots of potted plants along sidewalks of Hongo Dori and big potted camellias in alleys between Nishigahara and Komagome metro stations in Tokyo.