Acer griseum

Discussion in 'Maple Photo Gallery' started by Carl Bergstrom, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Carl Bergstrom

Carl Bergstrom Member

Acer griseum.

Fall color, November 2004.

Best regards,
    Carl

Attached Files:

2. Andre

Andre Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Nice pic Carl !

I've read today here that only 5% of Acer griseum's seeds could germinate.

I also read that griseum can be grafted on saccharum. Strange isn't it ?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2005
  3. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Acer griseum - private collection.
    May 23, 2002; October 16, 2004.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2005
  4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Dirr, Manual of Woody Landscape Plants discusses reproduction difficulties. Seedlings do appear in gardens, sometimes even near solitary trees. However, with a generous and regular fruit producer like this one hardly any could be successful and you would still get some coming up.

5. Laurie

Acer griseum - University of Washington Botanical Gardens, Seattle, accessions 1947, 1953, 1988.

Attached Files:

Soumil Yarlagadda likes this.
  6. Laurie

Acer griseum - private collection.
    November 2005.

Attached Files:

Soumil Yarlagadda likes this.
  7. silver_creek

silver_creek Active Member

Another Acer griseum fall color photo- this tree (12 years in this site) consistantly sets large amounts of seed, and much of it germinates! I work for a small nursery and often bring seed to our propagator, with the result that we no longer have to buy Acer griseum liners.

Attached Files:

8. interactbiz

interactbiz Active Member

Re: Acer griseum (paperbark)

'Maples of the World' says this may be the most splendid maple of all. We've had this one for about a decade and it is surely the slowest growing thing in the garden. Of course, it is in container but so are many of our maples. Anyone else growing paperbark maples in container?

Attached Files:

9. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

While I was walking through a local nursery I saw this beautiful Acer Griseum. The trunk was so beautiful, I had to snap some photos with my phone.

Attached Files:

10. interactbiz

Any idea what the autumn color is? Our small specimen turns a beautiful red very late in the season. It might be worth returning to photograph the fall color.

11. 54345

54345 Member

WOW--Laurie , those are gorgeous photos, hoping to get paperbark maple within 2 weeks. Still a little learry, only because to get a tree to the size i see in your photos they say it will take anywhere from 50-100 years -- I'll be dead by then and i'm only 37. What do you think do they really grow that slow ???? Great Pics!!!

12. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I have had an A. griseum in the ground now for 1.5 years, owned it for 2 + years and have now seen three springs with it. Each spring this tree has been by far the slowest to leaf out. The first spring I was testing the location with the tree in its pot and thought that it didn't like the spot. Second spring I thought, well, it hasn't been in the ground long so maybe it's transitioning. Well, I think now I have an established pattern. I'm still glad I have the tree but I'm very happy it's in a background vs a foreground position. Three years in a row hubby has been convinced the tree is dead and every year I have to point to the little leaf buds to convince him it's still alive.

13. interactbiz

True about acer griseum in southern BC too. I've wondered some years but it has been reliable over about a decade, always slow to come into leaf but such a beautiful tree year round, especially the fall color. One of my sons collected pods one winter and thought he might try growing trees from seed. I asked a professional gardener about his chance of success. When she heard he was already 20, she said, "Tell him not to bother, he won't live long enough." Maybe that's a bit of an overstatement but it demonstrates how slowly this tree grows.

14. 54345

54345 Member

Funny thing is i looked at one nursery they had paperbark maples 4 foot tall ,all ready had cinnamon peeling bark $ 78.00, small calibur. Then went to another local nursery they had paperbark maples also but the ones there were 8-9 foot GRAY bark, NO cinnamon colour except by the base and just starting to peel in spots for $179.00 larger calibur. I said how can that be?? The lady said it just depends on were you get your trees from. I wasn't sure if it was some type of cultivar mix but i just thought it was a little odd. Leaves look as they should like paperbark maple. Hoping this tree will reach 30 feet since its so tall, yet so young. Anyone heard of there being such a difference.

15. interactbiz

I suppose a grower could push growth with frequent fertilizing but I've always assumed that would result in a weaker tree in the long run. I have always been spare with the fertilizer on our collection of small maples. Others? Do you treat container trees differently than in-ground?

16. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

The biggest Acer griseum I have seen is at Dyffryn's Gardens in Wales. As stated in the plaque, it has more than 100 years. Photos were taken early May ( 3 years ago) and the tree was just leafing out.

Gomero

Attached Files:

Rich and wcutler like this.
  17. Cjart

Cjart Well-Known Member

Thought I would post a picture of my Acer griseum this spring. It has tons of seeds still hanging on as the leaves are finally peeking out. Don’t know if this is unusual or not or if the seeds are viable.

Attached Files:

AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  18. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi@Cjart, lovely to see Griseum just starting to leaf out where you are. Mine in southern England doesn't even have buds swelling yet. Strange how your seeds are still hanging on and in great numbers. They are probably sterile as they should drop during winter to start the germination process in the Spring.

Enjoyed your photos.

19. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Here are some photos of the famous A. griseum at the Royal Botanical Garden Edinburgh

Attached Files:

20. Cjart

Cjart Well-Known Member

Thanks Acerholic, I thought it was a bit odd that it was showing new flowers alongside of the old seeds, but I have only had it a couple of years and last year was the first time that it had seeds.

21. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Almost all of our A. griseum in gardens have very little genetic diversity, in fact springing from only several trees. Amazing as it may sound! Tony Aiello at Morris Arboretum did a study on this a few years ago. Of these trees, most produce completely parthenocarpic (without embryo) seed. A few produce seed that is bettwen 1-10% fertile, and there is one strain that produces a lot of fertile seed. This is where new paperbarks come from...

They don't germinate the next spring in any case, the need double stratification cold/warm/cold, so in nature those that sprout do so after 2 years.

All this is just another reason that A. griseum is critically endangered in the wild. -E

Cjart likes this.
  22. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

That picture is quite stunning. The colour is magnificent and against the paper like bark it makes this tree very special. I must get one!

23. Acerholic

@Luke’s Maples, Ive just lost my 5 year old Griseum, just didn't leaf out this year for unknown reason, but the first 5 years are the difficult ones. If I do replace, it will be a 10 year tree and not a baby. Something to bear in mind Luke, if you do consider this beautiful tree.

24. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Oh what a shame. I recall you mentioning that it hadn’t leafed out but we all thought it was because it was a late one. Very sad that it just gave up. I wonder why they do that?

25. Acerholic

@Luke’s Maples, a high percentage do that I'm afraid Luke and especially youngsters. If you do decide to get one, go for a more mature tree. I don't want to see the same happening to you.