British Columbia: Vancouver BC Spring Plant Swap 2010

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwest Plant Swaps and Meetups' started by Eve von Paradis, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Eve von Paradis

Eve von Paradis Active Member

Hello Everyone,

As a follow-up from Last Fall's Plant Swap at Lily's, I would like to host a Spring Plant Swap at my home (North Burnaby) some time in mid-April. On the aside, doesn't it feel like Spring already? The Spring bulbs are already showing their tips and then some!

So let's start making our Give and Wish lists, and any suggestions and feedback would also be welcome.

Look forward to meeting people from the last Swap and welcoming new friends.

Cheers!

2. Gardenfever

Gardenfever Active Member

Hi Eve,

I'll be there!

I'll be starting tomatoes, eggplants, and peppers soon. I'm sure i'll have extras. just off the top of my head I'll be starting the following probably will be more when i get home and look at the seed packs:

Tomatos:
    Early cascade
    Stupice
    Black Krim
    Brandywine
    Pineapple
    Green Zebra
    Sungold
    Sweet Million
    Sweetie
    Cherokee Purple
    Black Krim

Not sure about eggplants and peppers yet. I will add more later.

3. Eve von Paradis

Sounds good, Gardenfever!!
    I'm probably going to do more cuttings during the Olympics... and post my give list then.

At this point, I know I can do cuttings of:

Belgium honeysuckle vine
    Evergreen star jasmine vine
    Late spring blooming jasmine vine (semi-hardy).

So if anyone wants these specifically, please let me know.

4. Eve von Paradis

Hello everyone,

As you may have already read/heard, this forum will be shutting down soon. So, I will continue this thread in the GardenWeb forum: in the Get-togethers section.

Once I get it set up, I will post the link here.

5. Eve von Paradis

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Or, you can continue here. I've changed the Plant Swaps and Meetups forum to Pacific Northwest Plant Swaps and Meetups -- since all of the Plant Swaps and Meetups to date have been local.

Since the Pacific Northwest forums are continuing (and with additional emphasis), you are welcome to continue arranging the swap here.

7. Eve von Paradis

Thanks, Daniel. I was unclear about what was being archived or kept.

So good news, everyone! We're back here at this forum then!! ;) I apologise for any confusion.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  8. janetdoyle

janetdoyle Active Member 10 Years

Victoria [Saanich, actually, northeast of Victoria
    Yes, indeed, and thanks Daniel -- it is hard for people to grasp maybe that we have merely been pared-down, for the sake of some efficiencies and time-saving, not eliminated! It's a pain to read through all the agonizings in the relevant forums, but if you do and if you re-read Daniel's original explanation, you will all see that we still have the Pacific Northwest forums, that is a wonderful saving grace. The glorious variety of different forums on everything including the exotics won't exist except as archived ones, but we still do have lots of choices, plenty, really, for local gardening needs, anyway, and the longtime posters from different parts of the world can still reply and advise people in the new gardening questions forum, and can still reply and discuss and bring up items in the Pacific Northwest forum when it relates to plants grown here... so no tears or closedowns! It's all a bit more compact, and we should all try to keep threads that are useful and general as intact as we can, and post related items in relevant threads rather than always starting new ones, if we can.

9. tiger_lily

tiger_lily Active Member 10 Years

Eve - I'm glad to hear you're planning a Swap, I am looking forward to another get-together... Any ideas on a date yet?

10. Eve von Paradis

Hello Lily,

Probably the last 2 Sundays of April or any of the Sundays in May would work for me. So it just depends what most of everyone's schedule is like.

11. tiger_lily

We're away May 2, but otherwise any Sunday afternoon would generally work for me.

12. Eve von Paradis

Hello Everyone,

So I'd like settle on May 9, Sunday for the Plant Swap from 1pm-4pm.
    I live in North Burnaby, close to Hastings and Barnet hwy.
    I will be able to offer stem cuttings of whatever I have growing in my garden, but will request that people bring some empty plastic pots for potting (I threw all of mine out a few years ago!).

Cheers!
    EVE

13. tiger_lily

Oh, we're away May 9. But I can catch up with y'all another time.

14. Eve von Paradis

How about May 16 (3rd Sunday of May)? I'm flexible, so if that works for you, we can do that.

15. Gardenfever

Hi Eve,

I'll be there on May 16.

Is the evergreen jasmine vine hardy? If so, I wouldn't mind trading for some if you're interested in anything from me.

Do they root easily?

16. Eve von Paradis

Hi Karen,

Great to hear you'll make it.

Yes, the evergreem jasmine is hardy in our zone, and they do root easily. Would like to trade for one of your tomato seedlings... let me know which you have extras of. I also have belgium honeysuckle vine which is just quite divine. When you come over, just take a look and see what I have and I'd be glad to do some cuttings for you. Just bring some little plastic pots for the cuttings. :)

17. Eve von Paradis

Hello everyone,
    Just to make it clear, I've moved the Plant Swap to May 16 and we'll keep it as that now.

Even if not everyone has plants/seeds to trade, it'll be great to get together and get inspired... my garden is in several phases of its growth and this year, I'd be working on my backyard and some portions of my front and side gardens. I was quite busy with other things happening in my life over the last few years, and had to put off some of my gardening plans, but this year I plan to continue with what I've been working on. So I look forward to absorbing the gardening chi that will fill the air at this Plant Swap!

18. Gardenfever

Well, I just sent out another reminder to ol' gardening gang to remind them of this thread. Hopefully we get more activity soon.

I totally agree that even though people don't have anything to trade it'd be nice to garden gab and trade garden tricks or just talk about worms etc.

19. vicarious1

vicarious1 Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby North on a slope facing south & a view :-)
    Hello.
    I am new to the swapping. As I grow mainly vegetable. Can one bring some seedlings against other plants. If anyone wants to make one swap earlier we live on Napier near
    Brentwood mall. I gladly swap/share seeds also collected quite a lot of grasses and Clematis.
    I am eager for some vine also like any Jasmin something for full sun. Thank you

20. Eve von Paradis

Hello Vicarious1,

You may certainly swap seeds/seedlings as well, and even if you end up not swapping with anyone, you are still most welcome to come for the swap May 16 at my place just to meet fellow gardeners and as Gardenfever says, to gab about all things gardening. It'll be fun.

I do have 3 types of Jasmine and a belgium honeysuckle vine. So If you are interested, just bring little plastic pots filled with soil and we can make some cuttings. They all root easily.

What kind of grasses do you have?

21. Eve von Paradis

Plant Swap for all!

Hello one and all,

It has come to my attention that people who view this thread may think that this Plant Swap on May 16th is a private gathering. This is not the case!!!

So anyone who has any interest in Plant Swapping or simply interacting with other garden enthusiasts are welcome!! The more the merrier!!

I'll provide coffee, tea, and lemonade, and people are welcome to bring some snacks as well. Even if it rains, the show will go on!... I do have a partially sheltered deck, so we'll be nice and dry. But let's hope for sunshine. :)

22. vicarious1

vicarious1 Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby North on a slope facing south & a view :-)
    Thank you for the extension and invitation.. where exactly will it be?
    I have a whole lot of decorative grasses but the seeds I have to look in my envelopes I made and get the names I know one is Zebra Grass I bought many types on sale at Garden works..but towards the end of the season so some had seedes already.

If anyone wants to get rid of Laurel, Boxwood, hydrangeas anything nice and green
    or leafy with flowers or not ..I am happy to adopt/come and dig out etc...

23. Eve von Paradis

In the 1st week of May, I'll be sending out PMs to everyone who will be attending the Swap. I live near the Mountain Shadow Pub (near Hastings and Duthie)... several hops and skips from where you're at apparently. :)

I am thinking of adding some grasses to my backyard, so will be open to suggestions of what you have to offer.

In return, I do have quite a few Laurel babies that seeded themselves, so you are welcome to have some.

24. westcoastgarden

westcoastgarden Active Member

Hi everyone,

Better late than never in joining in :-)

It looks like I should be able to make it on May 16th for a bit. Thanks for starting the jasmine for me Eve. I'll post a trade list this week.

Katherine

(Is there a separate thread somewhere for trade lists?)

25. Eve von Paradis

Sounds great, Katherine.

I was reluctant to start a new thread for the trade lists (due to workload of administrator), but in the interest of keeping this Plant Swap more organized, I think I should!

So please post trade lists on new thread titled, "Trade lists" in this same category of Plant Swaps.

Thanks.