British Columbia: Washingtonia filifera in Osoyoos?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by CountryPalms, Apr 3, 2010.

1. CountryPalms

CountryPalms Member

Does anybody know if a Washingtonia filifera would be able to survive in Osoyoos BC? I have never had any experience with palms before. But I heard that they like a hot dry climate and I thought whats a hotter and drier place in Canada then Osoyoos? Of course it would need protection which is not a problem and I heard those palms are hardy to like -7 degrees celcius or something which is great. I could have it in a pot that goes in and out of my house for it's first winter to acclimatize it. Please answer because I want to try so bad! Does anybody have any experience with them or palms in general in the okanagan?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Washingtonia palms are tried repeatedly here (Seattle area) and seldom survive for more than so many years. The few unprotected examples of sizes beyond quite small have their tops burned periodically; no skyline specimens as are seen frequently in suitable climates well south of here are known in my area.

So, if you live in the interior I am sure you will have to protect yours every winter for as long as you wish to keep it. It will definitely not overwinter there in a pot, nor would it be expected to survive outdoors in the ground.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  3. CountryPalms

CountryPalms Member

Well do you think there are any other palms that would survive here that grow larger than a bush? I'm pretty sure Osoyoos is zone 6b-7a or something like that. This past winter wasn't that bad so I don't see why I can't have any palms right? Maybe a Trachy but I heard they like lots of rain and we don't get that much rain here for most of the year.