Looking for Nitrogen-fixing shrubs -orchard guild plants

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by rollingearth, Apr 2, 2010.

1. rollingearth

rollingearth Member

Hello! My name is Joah and my family and I own and run the Rolling Earth Farm and Retreat. We have organic gardens and forested areas and are transitioning to become a permaculture demonstration site and self-sufficient food forest.

One of the main teachings/practices of permaculture is the idea of plant guilds. Kind of an advanced form of companion planting whereby the plants of a mature guild 'permanently' takes care of itself in terms of nutrients (this is where the n-fixing perenniel shrubs come in), and wildlife and humans and pollinators also serve and benefit from the guild.

Here is a list of what i am looking for - can anyone help me? all are hardy in our temperate climate, some more than others. I would love to talk to anyone also interested in these plants or permaculture guilds in general. I think it would have to be individual enthusiasts or permacutlure practicioners. i have checked Linnaea, Gardenworks and the UBC Bot store. I will search Van. Is. nurseries next.

This list is culled from Gaia's Garden -A Guide to home-scale permaculture by Toby Hemenway:

Any of the Elaeagnus plants ( autumn olive, russian olive, goumi, silverberry, etc.)
    siberian pea shrub (Caragana arborescens)
    perennial pea
    Amur maackia (Maackia amurensis)
    Blue false indigo (Baptisia australis)
    sherphedia canadesis (soopalalie,native) or argentea (buffaloberry)
    sea buckthorn (Hippophae rhamnoides)
    Golden Chain Tree ( Laburnum anagyroides)
    Egyptian or European Licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra) (this is for the herb layer)
    Spanish broom ( Spartium junceum) dont know if this is as invasive as scotch broom but the idea of a guild is there is a balance of competition so no plants get out of hand and anyway, shrubs are meant to be occasionally 'chop and dropped' as mulch
    silk tree or mimosa

Thanks everybody. hope to hear from someone!
    Joah Lui
    www.rollingearth.ca

2. Grant Gussie

Grant Gussie Active Member

3. rollingearth

rollingearth Member

thanks Grant! i will call them tomorrow!

Joah