suggestions for espalier

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by englak, Mar 31, 2010.

1. englak

englak Active Member 10 Years

I am looking for a plant recommendation. I'd like an espalier that serves as a focal point for a residential veggie garden, the spot has about 10' width for the plant to grow, so I imagine it will be on dwarf stock. I'd like something that grows fruit (self-pollinating) that is not available in Vancouver typically, and will be disease free in this climate.

Any suggestions?

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

A pair (male and female) of Actinidia arguta or a single self-fertile variety (such as Issai) would work very well as a 10 foot wide espalier. However, these vines require almost constant pruning to keep them in a limited space. Issai is very productive even when pruned heavily, while other varieties that I've tried seem to pruduce less and less after a few years of heavy pruning.

3. silver_creek

silver_creek Active Member

A self fertile sweet cherry (Black Gold, White Gold, Vandelay are good choices) on dwarf rootstock could be fan trained. Or in 10' you could do two apples on M-27 rootstock. If warm enough, you could espalier a fig such as Desert King.