Nice red seedling

Discussion in 'Maples' started by ToddTheLorax, Mar 28, 2009.

1. ToddTheLorax

ToddTheLorax Active Member

Every year I grow many plants and trees from seeds. Ultimately, I don't have the space to accomodate them all, but I keep some of the nicer more interesting ones going in pots until I find a home for them. Here is one of my japanese maple seedlings. The seed I acquired from a generic red japanese maple. I saved it because I thought it would have dissected leaves. Maybe it still will, but it looks much less so this year. This is the first year it grew vigorously (previously it was really slow) and the leaves are broader, more standard than I expected. Still a neat slow growing plant....

Attached Files:

2. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Very nice Todd. Do you have any idea of the parentage?

3. kaydye

kaydye Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Todd,
    How many years was it before it started growing vigorously? My seedlings have seemed so slow and everything seems to want to eat them, or dig them out of the pots.
    Kay

4. ToddTheLorax

The seed came from an unidentified red japanese maple, probably wasn't a cultivated form. Out of dozens of red seedlings this was the second slowest and this is the first year it's grown substantially. Some were taller than this in one year.

5. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

Reminiscent of Suminagashi

6. ToddTheLorax

Here it is this spring, brighter spring color than I remember last year. And the leaves more deeply divided, but not dissected, Another matsumurae type I guess. This one I'd call "semi dwarf". It is certainly not as dwarf as the tiny reticulated plant, but not really vigorous or "strong growing". Again, the other red seedlings from this year are 2 or 3 feet tall and already have nice thick little trunks. Note the first two pics are taken about a week before the next two.

Attached Files: