mystery on laurel (standard) ..

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by grdnstff, Mar 24, 2010.

1. grdnstff

grdnstff Active Member 10 Years

hello .. i'm attaching 5 photos taken today of a standard laurel in a garden where i work .. just wondering if anyone can tell me what's going on with this little guy .. the main source of query is the oozing from the trunk .. there is also, in the first photo, what looks to me like a leaf miner .. thank you ..

Attached Files:

• -1.jpg
      -1.jpg
      File size:
      11 KB
      Views:
    • -2.jpg
      -2.jpg
      File size:
      6.7 KB
      Views:
    • -3.jpg
      -3.jpg
      File size:
      6.5 KB
      Views:
    • -5.jpg
      -5.jpg
      File size:
      5.6 KB
      Views:
  2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Prunus lusitanica, perhaps with gummosis. Cannot get any of the pictures to enlarge enough to see detail.

3. grdnstff

thanks, ron .. when i first saw this, it reminded me of a similar situation with a cherry tree .. i don't actually recall what was done about it .. can you recommend any remedy?

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

5. grdnstff

i've printed the information from oregon state u .. thanks for that .. i hadn't really thought of a laurel being related to a cherry, but can see similarities .. there is one 'wound' on the tree that looks quite 'bad' .. that's the pinkish colour on the trunk .. i'm wondering about the watering/fertilizing factor, as these are trees that were bught at a nursery in town, then planted late last summer in their present situation .. already quite large, relatively speaking .. also, on reading the information from osu, i'm thinking i will pay careful attention to the wounds, and that at some point i may cut into the trunk and attempt to get to 'sound surface' .. however, in the meantime, i'm just in the process of mulching this garden with manure, and trust that this will have a positive effect on the trees .. any other ideas?

6. grdnstff

is it possible this will destroy the laurel?