British Columbia: Bold colours for north side of the house

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Arvind, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Arvind

Arvind Member

We are trying to add some colour to the landscape on the north side of the house. The beds that I am trying to brighten up run along the east and west sides of the property. The beds are currently narrow (about 2-3 feet) with several Roses planted in a row, few feet apart.

My current thought is to plant something in between the Roses, for both colour and definition / screening. I have also thought about widening the beds.

We love the colours of Dahlias, Glads and Cannas. Could these be made to work on the north side of the house in Vancouver?

Also, are there any other suggestions for bright colours for the north side, especially in the later part of the season?

Finally, any other suggestions or pointers to help design the perennial bed would be welcome.

Thanks for your help.

2. Grant Gussie

Grant Gussie Active Member

Camelias and rhododendrons are much better for the north side of a house than are roses. And of perrenial flowers, Lilly of the Valley and helebores are really the only perennials I have found to truly thrive on the north side of the house. Most perennial flowers like full sun, and cannas, dahlias, and gladiolus are typical in that respect.