Blossom end rot on tomatoes

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by mike anders, Mar 1, 2010.

1. mike anders

mike anders Active Member

I want to start something about 'Blossom end rot' on tomatoes & how I can find information to prevent it. Photo supplied.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2010
  2. bedixon

bedixon Active Member

I was reading about blossom end rot today. It's from a calcium deficiency which is often caused by erratic watering. The plant can't take up adequate calcium if the soil goes from too dry to too wet, and calcium is needed for the cell structure in the fruit. If you water your plants evenly you greatly reduce the risk of blossom end rot. Also watch what you're feeding them, tomato fertilizing formulas are usually higher in potassium than nitrogen and phosphorous... although I know many gardeners don't bother feeding at all because they believe planting out in a good soil rich in compost should be enough... everyone has their way. Fish fertilizer is supposed to be good for tomatoes. Epsom salts is also used to help prevent BER, because magnesium apparently helps the plant to absorb and take up the nutrients it needs for proper fruit set. You can mix a bit into the water, or throw some in the hole when planting out. Tomatoes like heat, but not too much humidity, so if you're growing in a greenhouse or under plastic, watch the ventilation.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2010
  3. mike anders

Many thanks for that

We have a hot drying wind here at the moment at about 8 mph. & the temp is now 34C. & I have to keep watering everything now. I am sure that is what caused the BER. The toms need to be watered about 6 times a day. The cucumbers are just the same! Always thirsty. I will have to rig up an automatic system because I can't go out! I will be glad when the rain starts again in May!!

Regards Mike

4. Dunc

Dunc Active Member

Water absorbsion is most likely the cause. The Calcium remark is so true in the process. I ussually add lime at planting to aid the Calcium count and to avoid evaporation, try mulching with almost any twig/bark/clippings to retain the moisture.

5. bedixon

bedixon Active Member

yes, don't forget the mulching... if you're having to water a lot, mulching with anything to keep down evaporation is vital. I used newspaper one year, cutting into the middle of a sheaf and slipping it around the stem. It manages to stay put once it's wetted down and has a rock or two to help anchor it.
    Interesting, Dunc, that you add lime at the time of planting... I always thought lime was to be worked in months ahead of planting time to avoid root damage... how much do you add?

6. Dunc

Dunc Active Member

Re. the lime, Bedixon
    I do add lime in the spring a month before I turn the soil, hoping that it will wash in and distribute. I then throw in a palm full of lime and work it around the hole when planting. That may be over/under kill but, I've had sucess. I as well put a torn up pack of paper matchs in my Pepper holes for the potasium. Likely just another old wives tale.

7. nel

nel Member

Calcium nitrate would help a lot.

For other plant pest problems, one can use an iPhone to take photos and submit text information for real time, interactive diagnosis.

The Plant Doctor

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2010
  8. mike anders

Hi Everyone

I have discovered why my toms had blossom end rot:
    Now that the plants are over I have emptied the pots out & found the compost in the bottom of the pot was bone dry whilst at the top it was very moist. This discouraged any proper root formation, therefore stunting growth.

I think the answer is to place the pots in a trough so they can be watered from the bottom as well as the top If growing in a hot country like Thailand.

Regards Mike Anders

9. bedixon

bedixon Active Member

it shouldn't be a problem if you always make sure to give enough water so it drains through into the bottom dish. If you don't see it come out the bottom, you haven't given enough. On the other hand, you don't want to give it so much that the plant ends up sitting in water. If too much comes out it needs to be emptied.
    Also... if the soil in the pot has gone extremely dry, the water can run down the inside of the pot and straight out the bottom. In this case you would want to let the water sit in the dish for an hour or two so it can soak back up. But hopefully that doesn't happen, tomatoes like to be kept evenly moist. Give more water when the top inch or so feels dry.