Norfolk island pine browning

Discussion in 'Araucariaceae' started by jreidsma, Oct 20, 2009.

1. jreidsma

jreidsma Active Member

I have a Norfolk island pine tree I have had it for about a year now but the last 1-2 months its branches have started to curl up and turn brown. I tried watering it more it seemed to help a little bit but it is still doing it. The largest middle stem is doing great growing and everything it was before. Should I cut off the brown branches or not? Could this be a desease or something?

Thank you

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

What is the condition of the soil? Maybe get the plant out of the pot and have a look at the roots.
    Any recent changes in its environment, like higher/lower light or temperature?
    Any evidence of scale, mites, fungus?

3. jreidsma

jreidsma Active Member

Well it was doing it before this but the soil that I recently repotted it into was a little cheaper than what I usualy get and some type of white or green mold like stuff is on the top of the soil. I dont know what color it is sorry I will try to get a pic of it. The roots looked realy healthy though so I dont think that its the roots. thanks for the reply

4. jreidsma

jreidsma Active Member

Here are some pictures of the stems and mold like stuff.

Attached Files:

5. jreidsma

jreidsma Active Member

Hi again I have moved it to a north window and I am watering it the same. I was wondering if the mold stuff could just be crystals of fertilizer becuase when I put some hydrogen peroxide it didnt even faze them. And almost every other fungus I have had trouble with would die after that. I have grown crystals with vinigar and a rock that look the same as these do just not the same color. The norfolk island pine is doing better , not great but better. Most of its leaves arent so dead looking anymore so I think what was wrong with it was it just needed a different window or something.

6. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

7. jreidsma

jreidsma Active Member

I am going to move it outside when it warms up. But right now at night it gets really cold. So it wouldnt be a good idea right now. The growths on the soil are also on the soil in my crassula plant and its not getting affected so maby they arent to worry about. When it warms up outside I will move it outside to my plant shelf which is where the rest of my plants go during the spring and summer.

8. jreidsma

jreidsma Active Member

I looked closer at the plant, and the place that sells them planted 5 in one spot so they crouded each other out. I took some toe nail clippers and clipped the dead plants off and theres only two left. They are doing great now that I clipped the dead ones out, they have grown about 2-3 centemeters in a couple weeks on all the branches.