Anyone know of Crokokia Contoneaster?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by TMG, Mar 12, 2010.

1. TMG

TMG Member

I purchased this plant, currently about 1.5 ' hi. Bought on a whim, I liked the structure. Now I'm not sure where to plant it. Front yard is terraced with boulders, and flat lawn areas, full sun. Anyone out there familiar with this plant? I've since read that it's often grown as a hedge, which I don't want. Prefer to grow as a specimen plant. I'm in zone 8, Pacific coast (Victoria, BC).

2. janetdoyle

janetdoyle Active Member 10 Years

Victoria [Saanich, actually, northeast of Victoria
    Note: Corokia cotoneaster. We planted two slightly smaller ones on a rock-garden mound near a small pond on our patio in Victoria, the little terrain is like a miniature scene, and the two corokias look like miniature deciduous trees -- they receive about 1/2 day of morning sun and noontime sun, the rest shady, and are close to an irrigation nozzle for summer moisture... they do well, have survived... however, I have not seen the flowers on them I saw on the web -- that would be wonderful! I can't imagine what they'd look like grown as a hedge! There is a steep front yard terraced with boulders near us on an attractive main thoroughfare in Saanich, with all kinds of interesting specimen plants planted on the various levels... I can imagine them in a similar setting, but I don't think they'd show up well -- they are remarkable in miniature garden environments...

My better half tells me he "bonsaied" them by burying the root zone in small containers, with a hole in the bottom... that must be why they have stayed small, and maybe not bloomed...

Look at the soil recommendation on this website:
    http://www.gardening.eu/plants/Shrubs/Corokia-cotoneaster/869/

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Novelty shrub for mild neighborhoods.

4. ashizuru

ashizuru Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

This is one I have had as a bonsai for about 12 years, and it has taken temparatures as low as -8c this winter, it has small yellow flowers in late spring, it has just been repotted, which I carry out every 3 years, usually trouble free.

Ashizuru.....

Attached Files:

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If the roots all looked good then you know it came through. The roots are the first thing on a shrub that goes when it gets too cold for it. The top is the most hardy, the young roots near the pot walls the least hardy part of the specimen.