Identification: Himalayan Fungi - puzzle number 3

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by alok, Mar 11, 2010.

1. alok

alok Member

Hi,
    This is another mushroom which has been puzzling me for some time... Maybe one of you know something about this...
    Thanks
    Alok

Attached Files:

2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Gorgeous! Especially the gill colour and the wacky cap wrinkes!
    Do you know the spore colour perchance? Also, looking at the surrounding habitat clues, I'm having a hard time deciding what (approx.) size it is. It looks like it's coming from ground rather than wood, and I think the gill attachment is notched?

frog

3. alok

alok Member

Right on dot Frog!! This one as I recall was growing out of the ground and if you see the ground it is quite damp and mossy.. our Sanctuary forests here are primarily Himalayan Cedar, Silver fir and some Blue pine at a height of 1800 - 2500 meters, the cap of this one was (if I remember rightly) about 4 inches.. and about the spores.. I still have to learn to look for them but as I said this is the foundation of my research and with your help I am already learning to look for the right things.. (remember I am still a toddler in the field of mycology). I think the photos I upload at the UBC site are downsized automatically.. so if you want I can e-mail you the originals which are 1200x1600 resolution.

4. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

No one's bitten yet? I'm going to suggest the genus Hygrocybe. It looks similar to Hygrocybe cantharellus or punicea, but I realize it is probably not these - just trying to put you in the taxonomic ballpark.

5. alok

alok Member

Hi, Thanks for the pointer will do some more research in that direction.. It does have some features like Hygrocybe but you're right a lot more reading is due