Morel Mushrooms

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by vancook604, Mar 5, 2010.

1. vancook604

vancook604 Member

Hi everyone, looks like I haven't been on here since the fall.
    So I am heading up to a friends cabin near Cache Creek B.C. probably for the May long weekend. I was wondering if anyone has gone mushroom hunting up there and if they know whether morels grow around there? I know there was alot of forest fires this past summer in the area.
    thanks everyone.

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Burn morels can be extremely abundant in interior BC. I haven't checked the Cache Creek area, but I'm pretty sure that the situation is the same as other areas east of the Coast Mountains and Cascades. Pine trees seem to be the most productive; but, as usual, production depends on the weather. If it's very dry in May, as it was last year, there won't be many morels to be had. If the ground is dry, check the edges of streams and other moist areas.

3. vancook604

vancook604 Member

thanks vitog

I'll be sure to report back with my findings when I make my trip this spring.

I'm hoping to make it to the vancouver mycological society meeting tomorrow, maybe ask if anyone has been up that way before. I haven't made it to a meeting since the fall due to my work schedule.

4. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

We'll definitely be discussing morels tonight, partly because the speaker is talking on spring ascomycetes :-).
    I also suggest connecting with members of the Fraser Valley Mushroom Club (as there will be several members there tonight) on this question.

cheers,
    frog