Name for a Pink Rose?

Discussion in 'Rosa (roses)' started by CanadaKin, Sep 19, 2009.

1. CanadaKin

CanadaKin Member

Hello, I am new to this forum and am seeking help identifying a lovely pink rose acquired when I moved house. Hardy blooms approx 5" fading with age on sturdy canes. Thorns are hooked downward and stems have dark green leaves. Easily grows to 6-7'. Moderate fragrance reminds me of apples with a whiff of citrus. I'm searching "pink roses" on all the sites I can think of. To my mind it resembles American Beauty. Any Ideas? Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Kale

Kale Member

American Beauty?
    I have All Miss American Beauty, she is more in the red family.
    That rose sure is Gorgeous!

I'm stumped, the 1st pic in the right threw me off.The 3rd picture from the left makes my heart skip a beat *LOL

I have a few roses that I Need to identify myself, turns out I didn't get what I thought I did.
    I think they were overworked in Taylor Texas too much sun perhaps*lol

I will keep this rose in mind and let you know if I find possible ID.
    Sorry I couldn't help yet.

Kale:)

3. CanadaKin

CanadaKin Member

Hello, Kale.

In my internet wanderings I have found another rose resembling mine.
    The Queen Elizabeth. Upright growing and can easily reach past 7'. It was bred in 1952 from a cross of Charlottte Armstrong X Floradora. Apparently, Charlotte Armstrong (dark pink) is hiding in the ancestry of many pink roses. Floradora is a short, salmon-orange rose of about 25 petals and QE about 35. Mine is closer to 40 but I'm not going to call the rose police. I can cut her back about 1/2 in march and she comes roaring back. Blooms well into late fall. Good luck identifying your roses! And Happy Spring!

4. Kale

Kale Member

Here is my Queen Elizabeth it was the first bloom from the second season which occurred in Early June.
    She too grew tall not as tall at the one in the front planted the same year.
    She grew about 4 feet (lack of sun may have something to do with it).
    The one in the front grew about or more then 5feet 7inches or so. I know she was taller then me!
    Now,the 1st pic on the right threw me off. Maybe it is QE's sister!*LOL
    The position in which it is sitting threw me off along with the amount of petals.
    Oh neither of my QE had about 40 I think more like 35 after the season progressed.
    Blooms took place every few weeks about 4.
    With more blooms up to 17 about 5-7 per day (in the front) Lasted quite a while in a vase (more then 8 days). Lost many due to Jbeetles no matter how I tried to cover.

Does my QE look like yours as you recall being we are snowed in now*LOL

Attached Files:

5. Kale

Kale Member

OH viewed again..
    Your leaves are the wrong color!
    And your petals have a real wave like the Floribundas,
    My QE by the end of the season had not many curves the petals were real compact and it sat upright (hard to see the center (anthers) even if looking down and into the center).

6. CanadaKin

CanadaKin Member

I 'll just have to keep trying! some folks don't like the uprightness of this wannabe QE. Although I haven't pruned yet (next month) it's already 4' and budding. weather's been mid 40's to 50's recently in western Wa. We've been very lucky this winter.

7. CanadaKin

CanadaKin Member

My rose goes through several phases of pink. Some buds almost appear white as they begin to open tho' most begin as deep pink. First day they appear tea-like then gradually (HA!) open and finish looking somewhat faded and tired - but maybe I wait too long to de-bud! If I let it there would be blooms way past first frost. Sorry about all your snow. But I could use more rain (on a well). The Olympic Mtns have very little snow.

Attached Files:

8. 1950Greg

1950Greg Active Member

Langley, B.C. Stones throw from old HBC farm.
  9. CanadaKin

CanadaKin Member

Sorry, but not the same. I looked up Electron. My rose has a mild fragrance and is not as deep a pink. Petals do not lay as flat when aging. Thank you!