British Columbia: My 26 year old Holly Tree is loosing leaves in Vancouver

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by RobertAGScienceUBC, Feb 20, 2010.

1. RobertAGScienceUBC

RobertAGScienceUBC Member

Hi this is my first posting, so greetings to all.
    I am a UBC Ag. Sc. grad of 1977.
    My holly tree has lost most of its leaves and berries up to about 1/2 way up the trunk on most branches. The tree is about 26 years old and about 20 feet tall. Remaining leaves appear to be healthy. The tree has been pruned to shape but not limbed up in any way. The tree is located next to a 5' fence with a good exposure to the east and gets morning and afternoon sun. Can anyone tell me what is wrong with my tree.
    Thanks
    Robert

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Are the fallen parts spotty?

3. RobertAGScienceUBC

RobertAGScienceUBC Member

Hi Ron B
    Some of the fallen leaves have slightly larger than pin hole sized marks on the underside of the leaf. Others have large area of brown dead areas and some leaves appear to be totally normal and unaffected.
    Robert

4. jimweed

jimweed Active Member 10 Years

It would be interesting to see some pictures. Is there a chance that the remaining healthier upper leaves are still sparse in numbers. Possible chance the symptoms look similar to bacterial blight(loss of inner leaves and twig die back)? Is there much algae or sooty mold growing on the wood and leaves? From past experience I would almost bet the tree has had wet soggy roots during past winters and dried out clay soil during hot summers, which can cause root damage, preventing sufficient sap flow to maintain existing foliage in years to come.

Holly Leaf Miners if you live out Point Grey or UBC area are quite prominent, but usually not too damaging, causing that kind of leaf loss anyway.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

6. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Not sure what you mean by "pruned to shape".

Was some shearing involved? Would the pruning have removed a lot of young exterior twigs near the bottom, leaving older leaves and removing younger leaves?

~
    ~

7. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years