Japanese maples in the PNW leafing out early in 2010

Discussion in 'Maples' started by amazingmaples, Feb 13, 2010.

1. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

To my suprise I have a Acer palmatum Goshiki Kotohime with fully developed leaves. It is only the second week of Feburary. There are a few acer japonicums which have buds opening up. Looks like another interesting year for the weather and trees

2. sasquatch

sasquatch Active Member

Same thing down in Oregon. I was busy grafting maples today, and found that my Goshkiki Kotohime was leafing out fast. A few others are close, but not quite there. Hopefully, my grafts will take before the scion leaf out.

3. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Much a I am jealous lol I hope a sudden freeze does not set the tree back.

4. slickhorn

slickhorn Member

kotohime with well developed leaves for me, too (Seattle). Also getting bud break on my kiyohime yatsubusa. here's a shot from 2/13.

Might be the first year katsura wasn't in the first 3 maples to break bud for me.

Attached Files:

5. kaydye

kaydye Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

It's funny that you should be noticing this in the Northwest. Here in the Midwest, in my garage, no light or anything, 30 degree temps, the buds look like they're beginning to swell. I noticed it a week or so ago. How do they do that? Why do they do that? I can't decide if they're stupid (I know I'm personifying, sorry), or know something we humans don't know. I don't know what I'd do if they started leafing out too early. I'd have no place to put them. Our local groundhog didn't see his shadow, either. Hmmmm... :)
    Kay Dye

6. amazingmaples

Here are photos of an Acer palmatum "Murakumo" and a "Goshiki Kotohime" which are leafing out. Many of my japonicums are getting close to opening. I have a large "Shishigashira" which just came up from Oregon and it has little leaves opening up. It is the blurry photo.

Attached Files:

7. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

You guys beat me this year ;-), as I was always the first to post spring pictures. This year has been consistently cold (not record cold) in Western Europe and plants are easily 2-3 weeks late which probably means back to what was normal 40-50 years ago. Not a single trace of maple buds opening in my garden yet, on the other hand the Hamamelis are outstanding.

Gomero

8. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

My climate zone is a bit colder than Gomero's, but if my maples rae not leafing out yet, there are signs that it's getting closer: my Acer ginnala are just about to leaf out, my A. palm. shishigashira has swollen buds, but the others are still in dormancy.

9. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Its surprising the buds on my Japanese maple in a pot, are not swelling much yet. Because the pear blossoms are bulging, ready to open. Leaves showing on Spiraea and Roses, and the Daylily leaves are almost 8 inches tall now. Our coral bark maple planted in the ground is not leafing yet.
    ~
    ~

10. sasquatch

sasquatch Active Member

Here's my Goshiko kotohime enjoying the first rainfall in a week. It will put out more leaves throughout spring, but looks pretty good already.
    Most of my maples look more like this Yuri hime, shown in the 2nd photo. If we experience a cold March and April, we could have some real problems. Otherwise, we get a nice long growing season.

Attached Files:

11. zonebreaker

zonebreaker Active Member

I´m very envious of your warm weather. I still have one meter of snow and on the second week of at least -20 C,Last night -30 C . Let there be spring!!

12. amazingmaples

It is all so nice to see the leaves but the we can easily get a foot of snow this time of year. Two years ago we had snow in April which damaged and killed many plants. In a few more days I will have other trees with leaves. I will keep posting them as I find them.

13. prairiestyle

prairiestyle Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I have the same problem... my pseudosieboldianum is starting to leaf out, in the garage, and it's far too cold to put it outside even during sunny daylight hours. Though next week we're finally expecting some temps above freezing, I haven't quite figured out what to do with it.

Sure makes me envious of you all with warmer climates!

14. 01876

01876 Active Member

Same here, some of my JM are ready to bud out in my garage. The outdoor night temp is above 20s now here in Boston area and I am thinking to bring them out this weekend to slow them down a little bit.

15. amazingmaples

here are leaves of my Kiyohime, it is now leafing out. I have added photos of an Acer palmatum 'Otohime' leafing out. I have added a photos of a 'Baby lace', Acer japonicum 'Giant Moon' , an Acer palmatum 'Sagara nishiki' and an Acer crataegifolium 'Vetchii'

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  16. amazingmaples

here are some dwarfs opening up,

Attached Files:

17. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Our 16' red leaf Japanese maple in the ground, is just starting to open leaf buds.

Likewise for an unknown small green variety in a pot.

: - )

18. tjcher

tjcher Active Member

I have strong buds on the potted trees in my garage. Temps were in the high 60's all week -- though today we are getting a foot of snow. My maples planted in the ground seem smart and buds are not swelling yet....

Hope everything turns out ok here in Colorado.... we have these infamous spring snowstorms....

19. amazingmaples

here are some more photos, it is another great day and the leaves are opening up fast. Some of my red leaf trees like Red Emperior are also opening up. Crazy season I had leaves on trees until early december and now mid march trees are fully leafed out.

Attached Files: