Identification: Variegated Shrub

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Megami, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Megami

Megami Active Member 10 Years

Does anyone know what this is? Grows in my front yard.

Also.. is it okay to post identification questions in here? I tried to post in the General Gardening Question and Answer section but it wouldn't let me create a thread. I'm a little out of the loop regarding forum restructuring. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

Ligustrum sinensis.

3. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

I believe that it is Euonymus.
    Not sure which one. In winter the variegated leaves often develop a pink tinge to them.

4. Steve H

Steve H Active Member

I agree, it looks very like a Euonymus and you are correct of course about the pinkish tinge they develop in colder months.

5. janetdoyle

janetdoyle Active Member 10 Years

Victoria [Saanich, actually, northeast of Victoria
    Would that be by any chance an Ilex crenata, a Japanese holly? There are some variegated and gold-variegated ones, I have one or two... [beginner's guess, and resorting to some of my old plant labels -- some of my plants and labels survived my first gardening attempts here, some didn't...]. Megami, I think the general gardening question forum won't accept longtime forum participants anymore, but will accept our replies -- I think -- but this one will -- and I have seen this plant everywhere in Pacific Northwest gardens -- it is irritating when one can't locate a name of a common plant! We need to establish a Thread here just called Identifications! Could the Administrator change the name of your Thread, or could you, Megami, on an edit? [So other plants can be identified here]

6. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

Sorry Janet. Definitely not Ilex.
    Euonymus has opposite leaves.
    Ilex/Holly are alternate.

Very sadly the old forum" Plant identification", no longer exists.

7. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes, this is perfectly ok -- you're a gardener in the Pacific Northwest, so any question about gardening / plants is fine.

Please, no mega-threads. A separate thread for every identification is better.

I'll get those prefixes in sometime soon.

8. janetdoyle

janetdoyle Active Member 10 Years

Victoria [Saanich, actually, northeast of Victoria
    OK, sorry, Daniel. I have a tendency to find creative round-abouts in life... I don't want to do anything that prejudices this forum, so thanks for the reminder. Separate threads it is.

9. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Euonymus fortunei cultivar. These are very common. Local outlets will have same or similar at various times.