Paw paw seeds

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by joserodrigues, Feb 11, 2010.

1. joserodrigues

joserodrigues Member

Hey out there! Just joined up and I'm searching for PAW PAW seeds or plants. If anyone out there knows where I can find them around Vancouver, please let me know
    I live in the okanagan and i wish to start growing Paw paw fruit.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2010
  2. Nath

Nath Active Member

Jose,

I f by PAwPaw you mean what we call in Mexico Papaya, the easiest method is to plant fresh seeds. Buy a Papaya from any store or continental food store cut it carefully open, enjoy the fruit but scoop out all the seeds from the middle and scrape them into a pot of compost burying them about a centimetre deep. keep warm and moist and in a matter of weeks you will have thousands of seedlings, choose what you will keep and prick them out in to individual pots with at least a foot depth as when you pot them on you don't want to be disturbing the roots. They grow very quickly and will create a type of flower when they reach a foot tall, you need to pinch this off and encourage the plant to keep putting its energy into reaching for the sky and not producing the thousands of tiny seeds that come from the flowers. if you plant outside in the garden beds as i did a couple of years ago you will find they spread those seeds all over and grow everywhere like weeds almost even here in the UK where we live right now they come up in the beds year after year.

Nath

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Or did you mean the North American Asimina?

Probably best to figure out which pawpaw you are interested in, first.

4. Nath

Nath Active Member

Are those the small pear shaped papayas that fit in your hand Daniel?

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I suppose so. I've never seen one in fruit, though we have a plant or two here at the garden now.

It's a bit deceptive to call it small, though, as it is (according to Wikipedia at least, though I can think of no exceptions) the largest edible fruit native to Canada and the continental US.

6. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

There is also a fruit bearing tree in Jamaica known as the Paw Paw. Jamaicans use the fruit to make a thick sweet drink. A bit of research indicates that one is also a Papaya, Carica papaya . I just read there is a festival in Ohio based on this fruit.

7. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

If you're living in Kaleden, and don't have a heated greenhouse, I'm assuming you're enquiring about Asimina triloba. I have a dozen or so in my garden, and they're doing well; they should be hardy in your zone also. Seed is widely available from a number of seed companies, as a google search will demonstrate. In canada, Grimo nut farm sells live plants and ships to BC.

8. Dave-Florida

Dave-Florida Active Member

They can be quite abundant as understory trees in the northeastern US. I've seen them in abundance near Shepherdstown, West Virginia.

Florida has a number of non-edible species. Most of them are shrubs that live in relatively frequently-burned vegetation, sending up new shoots and flowering shortly after a fire. Florida also has a small pawpaw relative, Deeringothamnus (two species, both endangered) and highly dependent on frequent fires.