Seasonal Japanese maple pictures (winter 2009/10)

Discussion in 'Maples' started by maf, Dec 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slickhorn

slickhorn Member

Re: Seasonal Japanese maple pictures

All that snow looks great guys, but ... I've got leaves!

This is, I believe, 'Murisaki Kiyohime' but i'm not positive, many kiyohime images online are kiyohime yatsubusa [EDIT: Murasaki Kotohime, not murasaki kiyohime]. nothing else is even swelling buds.

Anyway, Seattle, WA. where it hasn't frozen in weeks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  2. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

:°D

I love that one !

It has always puzzled me to see that one of the very few countries to still use medieval units of measurement was the first to dent into the British Empire.

It just makes me smile, that's all, no other sub-text intended.

3. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

The warmth (missing over here) has to go somewhere!!

Gomero

4. NJACER

NJACER Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

The New Jersey shore area has been hit with three heavy snow storms this year and we had two in one week ending Wednesday. The last one dropped about 18 inches of wet snow and crushed quite a few of my trees. I have been in this area my entire life and I do not recall this much snow. I have a 50 foot Norway spruce in my front yard that has never lost a limb in a storm. This week it lost six.

I lost 2/3 of my Acer palmatum ‘Orion’ pictured below. This was the mother plant that I understand all others have come from and a gift from Richard Wolff of Red Maple Nurseries. I am hoping that the last part will survive. I was able to graft 100 Orions today and I am very happy that I had sent scion wood out to others. I will have to wait for the snow to melt before I can determine how many losses I have. I would be happy never to see snow again.

Ed

Attached Files:

5. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

NJ, you have my empathy. The photos are painful to see.
    Good luck to you and the trees.

6. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Ed,

I am heart-sick for you! That's so tragic. But since you have shared so generously Orion will not be lost to cultivation. A lesson for all of us!

7. Gomero

ED,
    Good luck whenever the snow melts.
    Gomero

8. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Ed,
    That really is heartbreaking. Hopefully your losses will not be great, and can be measured in branches rather than trees. Good luck.

Last week I was wishing we could have snow like the Eastern U.S., on reflection we are lucky we do not

(P.S. I looked out of the window and it has just started to snow here, I don't think it is cold enough to settle.)

9. NJACER

NJACER Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

maf ,

I should not complain, we have very good weather for growing maples and it is very unusual for us to have this much wet snow. I am located close to the coast so we typically do not get that cold in the winter and we warm up about two weeks later in the spring due to the ocean temps so we do not get the damage from late frosts. The forecast is for one to three inches more of wet snow tonight.

I am planning on grafting today and hope to be able to get to the cultivars I want to cut. The problem is that my gardens are planted with larger cultivars and then dwarf maples and conifers. Most of the dwarf plants are completely covered and I do not want to damage them trying to clear snow from trees or cutting scion wood.

You may not get our snow in Northamptonshire but you have access to those wonderful cask ales in the UK that would help make these losses easier to deal with. I would really enjoy a Thwaites ale again.

Ed

10. cowley

cowley Member

I've thoroughly enjoyed your pictures from such varied locations; I need to take some of my sango kaku's; they are so beautifully red against the drab winter colors and especially now against the 6-8 inches of snow. Ellen

11. Gomero

None of my maples has leafed out yet which, for my area, is quite unusual. Thus I am not too concerned about the 5th cold wave of the season with temperatures dropping to -8°C tonight. Today we had an unusually late snowfall which gave a 10 cm (4") cover to my garden. Maples in the pics are Koto hime, Fjellheim and Ichigyoji
    Gardeners not far from here, in the Mediterranean beaches of Costa Brava and Côte d'Opale, fared much worse with 40 cm (16") of wet heavy snow which caused a lot of damage to plants.

Gomero

Attached Files:

12. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Great pictures, something about snow pictures makes me feel good. Glad to hear the maples have not leafed out yet, they wouldn't like -8°C!

I see the jetstream is stuck over the Iberian peninsula and the Mediterranean, bringing in all those storms, and leaving us further north with sunny but cold weather. Children in parts of the Costa Brava are seeing snow for the first time ever in their lifetime apparently, no wonder the plants aren't happy.

Temperatures have been about 2-3°C below average in England this year so far, leaf-out is going to be delayed for us also. Last year I had leaves emerging on some cultivars towards the end of March but I am not expecting to see any this year until well into April.

Edit: Spring is here for some and seems to be finally round the corner for the rest of us, so I'm closing the thread. (Didn't want to bring the thread back to the top just to announce it was closed.)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  13. nelran

nelran Active Member

Several warmer days with some sun (and rain) triggered buds and leaves in some of my cultivars. As usual, Katsura was first, then A. Palmatum, Mikawa Yatsubusa, Green Elf, following for Butterfly and Seryu. No reds cultivars yet, neither Japonicums or Shirasawanums. Here some pics taken today.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.