Early Spring Gardening

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Barbara Cameron, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Barbara Cameron

Barbara Cameron Active Member

Yesterday I noticed that quite a few of my perennials had new leaves starting. My plants are really confused with what to do because of our super mild winter. So I decided to go ahead and do what I was planning to do in Spring because at this rate of plant growth I can't wait for April or May. So I transplanted 3 of my perennials to places in my garden that I wanted them, removed the ever present moss by hand and added my usual mixture of regular soil and a bit of Peat Moss (I got this idea from a plant professional at Mandeville - Garden Works- last year). My big hope now is that our wacky Vancouver weather doesn't suddenly turn cold.

2. janetdoyle

janetdoyle Active Member 10 Years

Victoria [Saanich, actually, northeast of Victoria
    Yes, I had the same dilemma, Barbara... so I have started transplanting, pruning, etc., and hope I don't have the same cold spell. I have tight little yellow flower buds showing on my Kerria shrub before any of the leaves are out, which may be unusual for that, I am not sure. Weeds are generating, too. A few dwarf azaleas which got hurt by 2008/9 winter weather look as if they are growing new leaves and bloom buds, I am really pleased about that.

3. Barbara Cameron

Janet,
    Great to see your reply because I wasn't sure of the new rules about old members starting new threads. Is that confusing or what???

4. janetdoyle

janetdoyle Active Member 10 Years

Victoria [Saanich, actually, northeast of Victoria
    As I understand it, the Gardening in the Pacific Northwest is for new AND OLD members, it is just to be confined to matters arising from our climate and soils and geographical position, and the plants we grow... it is only the new one, the General Gardening Questions and Answers which they want to restrict to new members asking the questions, but I think it would be fine for anyone, old or new, to reply to them!

5. Barbara Cameron

Janet,
    I have alot more questions than answers generally but I'll try to get to the General Questions and Answers and see if I can help any new members.

6. leaf kotasek

leaf kotasek Active Member

dude, this mild weather is making me itch to get out there and PLANT. i've got some peas that i want to plant soon... oog, this weather is tempting me terribly. :)

7. Barbara Cameron

leaf,
    Me too big time. I'm going to have to start looking for the early signs that my beautiful Japanese Grass (Hakonechloa) may be starting with these cute little long but tiny leaves. That's my signal to do my plant dividing with it. I did it in 1/2 last year and it came out great. So this year I'm going to cut it into about 5 pieces and spread it in the 1/4 circle where I have my Club Moss (Selaginella 'Aurea'). I moved the Heather that was with it last year because the Heather was just buried under the Japanese Grass all the time.