Escallonia (pink princess) problem

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by marney, Mar 24, 2009.

1. marney

marney Member

Our escallonia hedge has always remained green throughout the year, with occasional dead leaves falling off. This past winter has been terrible for it. It looks dead, but there are still some green leaves around the bottom. Has anybody else got the same probem or had it before? What should we do? Prune it right back?

Marney

2. silver_creek

silver_creek Active Member

Most escallonia in the PNW suffered winter damage this year. I would wait a little longer, then prune it back to live wood (you will be able to see this when it starts growing).

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The other locally common one is 'Donard Seedling', invariably sold incorrectly as 'Apple Blossom' (which actually looks instead like Pink Princess = 'Frades' but with more white in the flower). It is hardier and will be merely defoliated rather than freeze to the ground under conditions that kill all the branches of 'Frades'. It also has an arching habit, making it more graceful.

All want a warm sunny position away from cold winds, and warm freely draining soils. After establishment irrigation may often not be necessary in many locations here and it may even be preferable to avoid watering in many instances.

Home sites built in cold out-lying districts or on low land with damp soil and atmosphere, frequent hard frost will never be able to do well with these.

4. janetdoyle

janetdoyle Active Member 10 Years

Victoria [Saanich, actually, northeast of Victoria
    Ah-ha, now I know what's wrong with our strata's Escallonias.... built on low land with damp soil and atmosphere, frequent hard frosts and in the cold out-lying district of Broadmead near Victoria! Thanks again, Ron.

5. erika777

erika777 Active Member

I've had this problem before and fought the urge to prune it back and the entire thing grew back on its own by summer time. Also, any bits that are still dead by summer you can cut off.
    On the other hand, I've also pruned it right back and because the plant was still alive it came back but it took many more months to do so.