Acer stratification in Feb

Discussion in 'Maples' started by anniepacer57, Feb 7, 2010.

1. anniepacer57

anniepacer57 Member

I have been storing seeds from a variety of acer trees in the crisper of my fridge since last year. They were not presoaked or in moist anything-just baggies. I would like to try to sprout them this year but am concerned I may be starting too late. Should I go ahead and start the stratification process now or should I wait until this fall? Thanks! I just joined this forum and I am really excited about learning from all of you..

2. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

Hey Annie,

It's not a bad time to stratify A. palmatums, shirasawanums and japonicums. If it takes 90 or so days in cold stratification then you'll be getting sprouts early May. You might get action quicker since they've been chilled for a while already.

Lots of experienced Acer seed growers here. Probably be more useful for you to hear from someone with experience in the PNW.

Good Luck

3. anniepacer57

anniepacer57 Member

Thanks PTB- I will pull them out of the fridge tomorrow and begin the process. What would you recommend as the best method for stratifying large quantites of seeds? I have several kinds and some I paid a pretty penny for so I would like to have as many as possible germinate. I am new to the forum and just starting to find my way around. I appreciated receiving your post so quickly to my query. This is going to be fun!!! ;-)

4. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

5. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

Ya it's really exciting. Folks in the maple forum are crazy about it.

6. 01876

01876 Active Member

Hi Ann,
    The fresher the seeds the higher germination rate. As PTB said, A. palmatum typically takes about 3 months to germinate; so I don’t think it’s not too late. They are quite vulnerable after leafing out, so just be careful about avoiding direct sun. I’ve been pretty successful simply stored them in the bottom of my fridge for stratification until last year my wife tuned down the temp and froze them. This early year after mixed them with moisture peat and sand, I left them in my unheated garage where temp ranges from 35 to 45 between Jan. and March. I’ve been doing this for years and I still can’t wait to see them sprout out. Good luck with your seeds. Go Coug!
    Joe

7. anniepacer57

anniepacer57 Member

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the feedback. What do you put the mixture into during stratiification-baggies, trays etc? Sorry that I am such a neophyte but so far my seedlings were found growing under my trees not from anything I did. I really appreciate any tips sent in my direction. Happy Spring !(almost)

Annette

8. bkb

bkb Member

I just did this for the first time. Take a few coffee filters and run them under water. Ring the water out so that they are damp but no where near dripping wet. Fold the coffee filters flat, then place them in a ziplock bag. Now place your seeds on top of the coffee filter. Put them in the fridge to sprout.

9. anniepacer57

anniepacer57 Member

Thanks bkb- I will try that and let you know what happens.

Annie

10. 01876

01876 Active Member

Hi Annie,
    I use clear ziplock bags as well which allow me to see through and check for little white sprout after couple months of stratification. I sow them when I see some pilots start poping out.
    Good luck again. \
    Joe

11. anniepacer57

anniepacer57 Member

Thanks to everyone who replied...

Annie