New Ficus, help!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Damius, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Damius

Damius Member

So I was given a Ficus for Christmas and I have to say, I'm a little lost. I can't care for plants, they die VERY quickly with me. So don't think poorly of me, but to give this lil guy the best possible chance, I've bought an aqua globe to make sure it gets all the water it needs. So far it's been okay, and the package says it's okay with the really finicky plants. I read another posting saying that for the first 6 months I shouldn't prune the lil guy. Anymore advice people can give I'd more than welcome! Thanks in advance. Also, here's a picture of it! I may be wrong about the breed, there wasn't any label on it when I got it.

Attached Files:

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I don't know what the plant is, but the swollen stem and the open type pot that it came in would indicate a plant that wants to be on the dry side and will not like being overwatered.

3. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

it's a beautiful plant!!! i'm not sure what it is, though.

if it is a ficus, then it definitely would want to dry out a bit in between waterings...and, as eric mentioned, that open-form container is used to provide airflow so that the soil can dry out fairly quickly.

it may be a ficus or it may be something else...that formation of the trunk could be something that's been worked on (if it's ficus) over the years to produce that look or it could one of the caudex type plants - which normally have bulbous roots and are often used for bonsai treatment.

a better pic of the leaves of the plant would help for id.

i'd get rid of the water globe - you're only going to promote root rot by using it with this plant.

4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Might be Ficus microcarpa (syn. F. retusa), Laurel Fig.

5. Damius

Damius Member

Thanks everyone for the help, I'll get a better picture asap. So far it's grown a lot with the water globe, and seeing as how I have a bad habit of neglecting my plants, I'm really scared to remove it. I usually only give it 1 fill a week and then let it dry up when it empties out. If it's a REALLY big no no to be using this type of watering system with these plants I'll gladly get rid of it. It's just I can't for the life of me remember to feed any of my pets, is why I don't have any anymore. Once I noticed I was being neglectful to their needs I found better homes. But I really like having this particular plant so I figured I'd find a sure fire way NOT to kill it :S.