Droopy Leaves on Red Leaf Banana

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by WASusan, Feb 4, 2010.

1. WASusan

WASusan Member

Hi - I am new to the forum and hope that you can help with my red leaf banana. I have it in a large pot in a large Western window in Seattle, WA. it has been growing like crazy with a new leaf every day or two. Last week one of the healthy green leaves drooped down and broke itself off. A second one did the same thing today. There are still new leaves growing. Anyone have any idea of what is wrong with it?

Attached Files:

2. honolua

honolua Active Member

HI,
    Well, it could be a number of things. In very hot and humid climates, the leaves can naturally droop when in the worst heat, only to recover when cooler. Have you recently potted it? Any fertilizer? I had cut off some of the pups of one of my banana plants and placed them in new pots to grow and give to friends. They drooped for about 4 days (tons of water and lots of summer heat), only to recover. Cut off the dead or damaged leaves so the plant does not place energy into leaves that are on their way out. Also, check bananas.org for more forum help. Good luck. It seems you may have overwatered or underwatered it. It should recover though.....