What qualifies to post in Gardening in the Pacific Northwest

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by janetdoyle, Feb 3, 2010.

1. janetdoyle

janetdoyle Active Member 10 Years

Victoria [Saanich, actually, northeast of Victoria
    Here is a question I have, regarding the compaction and pruning of these wonderful forums we are all mourning the loss-of-currency of...

Could not someone from, say, England, reply to a questioner regarding, for example, a Pieris plant, which certainly grows in the Pacific Northwest... it might have something to do with varietal characteristics which would apply in both places, perhaps...

How are people going to be included in this forum? Discussions of, say, Pieris shrubs might pull in responses from our correspondents we usually hear from in England, France, Ecuador, Australia, you name it...

In other words this pruning of forums is going to enable Daniel to watch posts in just one forum rather than having to skip around and monitor numerous posts in numerous threads in numerous forums! If anyone can establish a thread in Gardening in the Pacific Northwest, then we can still discuss internationally the characteristics of a Pieris variety!

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

For the sake of completeness, the reply was made in this post.

3. galiano

galiano Active Member

Technically, Southwest BC is not the Pacific Northwest. It's an annoying misnomer to call it such. The Pacific Northwest refers to that part of Washington State.

4. janetdoyle

Oh, heck. I hope we continue to include Washington and Oregon, however, some of our most knowledgeable participants are there! Since Victoria is almost 4 degrees further north than my old home of Halifax, NS, with its terribly nasty winter climate, I think of here as Pacific Northwest... and so many of our nursery plants come from there too! Let's join it.

5. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

That's a strange concept. In all of the scientific literature that I've read, the Pacific Northwest refers to the northwestern part of North America, usually encompassing the Pacific coast from northern California to Alaska, eastward to the Rockies. I've never seen the term applied in such a narrow scope.

6. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

I completely agree with vitog. I don't think quite to the Rockies, but still, a very broad area.

7. 1950Greg

1950Greg Active Member

Langley, B.C. Stones throw from old HBC farm.
    I am with you on that point after all it was Canadians who settled there first and some day the two states might want to join the rest of us up here. That aside we all have a common climate and basically the same native plants.

8. galiano

galiano Active Member

Seems to me that " Pacific Northwest " must have been first an American term. Why would a Canadian call the southwest part of Canada the Northwest ?

9. janetdoyle

Just from the perspective of all the American-produced gardening books, plant breeding, etc., which apply to this area -- up to now, anyway, the output from the USA on this has, I would think, been far more numerous owing to the fact it is a larger, more populous and wealthier country.

10. Jean

Jean Member

Here's my first post.... Joining today to take part in the Pacific Northwest
    Gardening Community.... I hope I'm not in the wrong place. lol

I live in northern California on the coast.... I often refer to "Pacific Northwest"
    information on plants because my climate is so similar.
    Many people, in the states, esp. in northern California refer to our area as the
    Pacific Northwest just as vitog mentioned in his/her post.

Peace- Jean

11. janetdoyle

Well, welcome! I planted just before winter a Mahonia 'Charity' and I believe this is a plant basically much more frequent in your area, although probably since it is likely a hybrid, at least common to your area, although we have other forms of "Oregon Grape" here too... it will be interesting to see how it does in a shady location up here... someone across the street has one in the sun most of the time and theirs is much bushier and bloomier, although a couple of years older... We had warm weather this afternoon in Victoria, BC, with sunshine in the afternoon and people blissing out all over the place, the temperature in the sun must have been up to 12 Celsius or more in some places... the rest of the continent is snowed in or cold...

12. Jean

Jean Member

Thank you Janet...
    Mahonia is a native plant to our Redwood Forests.
    I just planted 2 in my front garden this year.
    The deer leave them alone and they offer a great
    fall color.

Perhaps all that's required to post in the PNW forum
    is the person's own claim to that term.

Peace- Jean

13. janetdoyle

I also think it would be relevant to us a little further north on the West Coast to have you, too, because in the Mahonia 'Charity' instance, I am curious as to how the plant grows and if it regenerates broken bloom stalks or if it does get a few broken, if it stimulates growth elsewhere on the plant. I noticed some roof and gutter cleaners put ladders up near mine and in their speed and enthusiasm for the job obviously broke off several of the bloom stalks, in my absence. Grrr-rr. Since they are nice fellows I did not want to complain. I will repost this in this same forum, under the "Mahonia or Oregon Grape" title, to stimulate some postings there. See you there and elsewhere!

14. galiano

galiano Active Member

I agree.

BTW we have tall mahonia on our property here in North Saanich and each year we pick the berries along with an equal amount of salal berries, and my wife makes wonderful Oregon Grape / Salal jam. It's really good !

15. tiger_lily

tiger_lily Active Member 10 Years

According to Wikipedia :

The Pacific Northwest is a region in the northwest of North America, bound by the Pacific Ocean to the west. Always included are the Canadian province of British Columbia and the U.S. states of Washington and Oregon. Southeast Alaska, Idaho, western Montana and northern California are often included.

The region's largest metropolitan areas are Seattle/Tacoma, Washington, with 3.3 million people; Vancouver, British Columbia, with 2.3 million people; and Portland, Oregon, with 2.2 million people.