Re pot together? Carnaviourous plants

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by jaistar12, Feb 1, 2010.

1. jaistar12

jaistar12 Active Member

I have one Sarracenia and one Dorsera ( sundew ) plant each and would like to put the two together in a pot is this ok to do? What kind of mix would i use for the two??

Attached Files:

2. terrestrial_man

terrestrial_man Active Member 10 Years

Your plants look great just as they are. I would not pot them together at all. In fact, I would not even consider repotting until root mass is really thick in the pots. For repotting you can purchase mix from any of the online carnivorous plant retailers that serve NZ or you can make a great mix out of ground up sphagnum moss, sand, and perlite. There are various blends, such as mixing 1 part moss to 1 part sand and then mixing 1/2 to 1 part perlite. Sand must be freshwater sand.

3. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

I would also leave them in their own pots, with that said, you can plant just about anything together, as long the mixed plants have the same care needs (watering & light) and that the root-balls each have some growing room they can call their own.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  4. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

Is that Drosera regia? Cool! I've never grorwn that one yet. With those two plants, yes, separate would be best, but with a different species of Drosera, there would be no reason not to pot them together. For repotting, it's best to do that in spring (when the new growth is coming), for the Sarracenia. Is this the same one you posted a few months ago? I generally use peat and silica sand for my mixes. Works for all my CPs so far.

5. jaistar12

jaistar12 Active Member

Yes that is the king sundew ... and the pitcher plants are the same , it's doing pretty well has a new leaf now they don't produce them much aye? thx for the feedback .. i shall leave it for now and re pot later on in the year ...