Help Identifying mystery pod/seeds!

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Ginsu, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Ginsu

Ginsu Member

This bean pod was picked up by my parents on a trip to Hawaii. They told me that they found the pod under a very large tree with many more still attached to the tree, but this might not be very accurate :D. I have looked around quite a bit with no success. The pod has a sort of leathery texture and was about six inches long before I broke it in half to plant some of the seeds. The seeds have a sweet smell and a little bit of sticky tamarind like flesh inside the pod.

Beanpod1.jpg Beanpod2.jpg

2. Darwiniensis

Darwiniensis Member

3. Ginsu

Ginsu Member

This appears to be correct. Thanks a lot! One of the seeds just sprouted too, and from what I can tell it has very similar leaves to Albizia saman. Very neat.

4. jarrett622

jarrett622 Active Member

Just a note: If this is what I think it is, Mimosa, than it's very invasive and is not native to the continental US. Read some of the negative comments here: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1764/

I personally think these trees are gorgeous when in full flower but I see them everywhere in Va. In places I doubt they were planted and seem to be taking over. I hope they don't do as the kudzu did.

5. Darwiniensis

Darwiniensis Member

It's not Albizia julibrissin, It's Albizia saman syn. Samanea saman- a different species. The flowers do look very similar, but check out the pods of A. julibrissin in these two pics- they are totally different.
    http://www.delawarewildflowers.org/plant.php?id=0053
    http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/6768/
    The "mystery pods" above belong to Albizia saman, Raintree. That's not to say that this species wouldn't also be invasive in some areas. However, I live in Darwin, located in the wet/dry tropics of northern Australia. We get an annual monsoon and average 1600mm of rain per year. Raintrees are planted all over Darwin as an ornamental/ amenity tree as well as Delonix regia, Poinciana. Whereas Delonix has become invasive with naturalised populations displacing native vegetation, Albizia does not seem to be a problem; I don't think it's as drought tolerant as Delonix. Another South American legume on the other hand, Mimosa pigra, is a terrible weed on our world heritage listed wetlands in Kakadu National Park!

6. jarrett622

jarrett622 Active Member

Thanks for clarifying that! I didn't know there were other varieties that were so similar in appearance. :-) I'd love to have one of the Raintree variety. Of course you have a lot of trees in Aus. I'd love to have...What's the one that has masses of purple flowers in the spring? Gorgeous!

7. Nath

Nath Active Member

looks very similar to Delonix Regia seed pods I must say.

8. gigi9022

gigi9022 Member

I might add, DO NOT> repeat, DO NOT plant in any area less than 1 acre from any structures. This is a serious LARGE tree with big roots. Used to live in Hawaii and made that mistake after admiring small young ones... They grow to 40/ 50' and who knows???? Huge.

9. Ginsu

Ginsu Member

I have them growing in one gallon containers and I think they will stay that way for quite some time. I don't think they would do very good outside anyways. :D

10. gigi9022

gigi9022 Member

Having lived in Hawaii for years (Kauai), I will voice a few words. You are correct and probably have looked it up to find you do not want to grow this tree on less than 20 acres. It is a beautiful tree! People bring seeds home and get things going , then they get out of hand. We are still battling those age old decisions of plant and animal displacements that seemed so right at the time and now regret it. Then find no answer to solve problem. Once this tree roots you cannot kill it. It lives on air. Like the Benj. Ficus.Cut,stab,poison,IT WILL COME BACK !!!