Rooting hormone powders

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by flowercents, Feb 3, 2010.

1. flowercents

flowercents Active Member 10 Years

Which rooting hormone powder is best I only want to buy one type? Number 1, 2 or 3 strength? For instance, would it matter if number three strength was used on softwood cuttings?

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

It really depends on the type of plants you'll be propagating. Personally I would go with #2 since the houseplants I'm interested in all prefer to be propagated using semi-hardwood cuttings. I suppose if you were to buy only one then #2 also makes sense because of its intermediate strength.

3. turtile

turtile Member

It depends on the plant species. I would go with #1 since it has the lowest concentration. If the IBA concentration is too high for the plant species, it will probably cause more harm than good. #2 has 3x the concentration and #3 has 8x of #1.

I have a list somewhere but I have to find it.

4. flowercents

flowercents Active Member 10 Years

Thanks for your replies. I want to propagate a variety of plants, so I just wanted to buy the most general purpose one.

5. Dunc

Dunc Active Member

Could this possibly of use in fruit tree grafting? Or, perhaps it is stimulating the wrong growth.

6. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Rooting hormones stimulate the production of roots. That would not be good at a graft point where you are wanting to join stem tissues.