Ficus in trouble

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by jcl, Feb 1, 2010.

1. jcl

jcl Member

Can someone help with a diagnose/solution for a sick ficus, please? Pics are attached. It's located near to baseboard heater at a window with decent light. Leaves are dropping but new leaves are coming in. The dropped leaves are not dried up or yellow. A particular area (away from the heater) is especially affected. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Apparently this plant is fussy about its environment and prefers not to be moved about and shows its displeasure by dropping leaves. It's possible yours is unhappy about the updraft and heat coming from the baseboard heater. This would also have a drying effect which is not the best for plants. It's strange that the portion facing away from the heat is shedding though. You may want the review past discussions (there has been many) on this problem.

3. leaf kotasek

leaf kotasek Active Member

i wouldn't keep a ficus near a heater. or near drafts, or anything weird like that. :D my ficus used to occasionally drop all her leaves; people on these forums have told me that ficus can be divas. have you moved your ficus recently?

apparently, ficus sometimes don't announce their displeasure until months after the fact. perhaps your plant is unhappy about you turning on the heater way back at the start of the winter.

good luck!