Propagation: Grafting Question

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by cucurbits, Jan 25, 2010.

1. cucurbits

cucurbits Member

I know this probably a stupid question but can the scion be thicker than the rootstock in grafting. I have 10 or so plum seedlings that are smaller than the scions I have. I was thinking maybe if I grafted them and then covered the union with dirt it would work. If not I'll just graft on to the larger trees I have and then let the seedlings grow out more.

edit: I've read you can use vaseline if you don't have grafting wax. Will this work?

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Thin scions are often grafted onto thick rootstocks; so I don't see why the reverse shouldn't work. Just make sure that the cambium layers of both scion and rootstock line up on one side.

I don't know about using vaseline, but I do recall reading that grafting wax is not necessary. I usually wrap the entire union in PVC tape, which should keep it from drying out almost as well as the wax. However, I haven't actually tried grafting without using wax.

3. cucurbits

cucurbits Member

Thank you for the reply. I'll see how it goes.

4. Blue Fox

Blue Fox Member

If you're going to try the vaseline trick, maybe only use it on some of the grafts. There's also some great tape called Buddy Tape made especially for grafting, it's expensive, but works really well. Sorry I can't help you with a source, but maybe google that term and see if you can find it mail order.

5. cucurbits

cucurbits Member

Well I ended up buying grafting wax and grafting tape so I won't need to use vaseline.

6. glenn10

glenn10 Member

If the scions are still dormant, I would take some nodes from them and T bud them to your root stalks. That way you can bud several nodes to the root stalk and then select the strongest one once they start to push.

7. cucurbits

cucurbits Member

I may try that as well. Thank you for the advice.

8. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

I agree with glen, T budding would be much easier, and with a higher percentage of success. NOTE: However, if you wish to bud instead of graft, the stock needs to be slipping. A tree is normally slipping when the tree is in the process of putting on a new flush. - Millet (1,083-)