mangos again

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by keekoh, Jan 20, 2010.

1. keekoh

keekoh Member

Hi, I am a new member and was looking at past forums of how to grow mangos, anyway I let the big pit dry out and how do I get the seed out with a hammer or something as I don't want to wreck it.

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

You don't need a hammer - a really sharp knife and a pair of pliers is better. Use the knife to slice carefully along one edge of the pit, then use the pliers to pull the two halves of the pit apart to reveal the seed.

3. keekoh

keekoh Member

With the seed is it better to hang in water or put in soil, not sure with soil how deep to put it do you know lorax

4. lorax

Lay it flat on one side, then cover it with about 1 cm of soil.

5. keekoh

keekoh Member

Thank you, but sorry to be a bug, I just got the seed out it's quite big I noticed on one end of the seed that its split open, is it ok or not its at I guess you would say at one bottom end not on the side of it, also wha size of pot should this be started in?

6. lorax

If one end is split open, and there's no musty/moldy smell, it's already starting to sprout. I usually start mangoes in a 1L takeout container, about the same size you'd use to transplant young tomatoes.

7. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

As long as the grocery store has not refrigerated the mango so cold that they killed the embryo, there is a good chance that the seed is alive.

Don't dry it out. Plant immediately after removing from the fruit, or keep the pit damp until you're ready to plant it.

You can plant the whole pit (lay it on its side and bury), but you'll get faster, more certain germination if you remove the seed from the pit. Along one side of the pit it should be thin, whereas the other side is thick (the seed is between the 2 walls of the pit, there). Take a heavy pair of scissors or a pruning clipper and carefully cut through the thin side of the pit, being careful not to injure the seed. the seed looks like a kidney.

Plant it on its side, covered with 1/2" of soil. Keep it warm and don't allow it to dry out completely during germination. It should send out a root within a week or two, and a top should rise from the soil in the 2nd or 3rd week.

Some mangos are polyembryonic, and in that case, you may get several plants from one seed. This is true of many of the pale, greenish-yellow fruit types, which are also often elongated. The more heart-shaped, brilliant red/orange/purple types, on the other hand, are nearly always monoembryonic and give just one plant per seed. - Millet (1083-)

Winn winn likes this.
  8. Charles Richard

Charles Richard Active Member 10 Years

Just curious about whether the mango seed once planted. Should it be inside a propagator or baggy? Does it need to bottom heat or is a warm well lighted space enough?
    Intrigued by the forum. Thinking of starting one.

9. lorax

I've never had to use a propagator or baggie, nor have I ever had to use a heat mat, but I've got my location working for me. You might want to try it.