Euphorbia Rot - Hopeless?

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by pwk, Jan 28, 2010.

1. pwk

pwk Active Member

Hey guys,

I bought a super awesome gaint sexy euphorbia of some sort on clearance for $5 the other day (amazing deal since it was originally $45), only to have it wither up and get all soft and fally-over within about two weeks. One of these weeks it was under my sister's care who is a chronic over-waterer, which I suspect led it to its sorry state of the moment. I assume it's rot since the plant is soft and tipping over, and where I've cut into it there's no trademark milk - just mushy brown. I've already performed some surgeries to remove the really rotten bits as well as the tiny salvageable baby bits on the tops of its towers (these seemed healthy enough - lots of the beloved corrosive milk to go around).

My question is - is there any point in keeping these rotten bases? On the one hand, they're not completely mushy... just mostly so (sigh). Definitely no milk. I have one big tower still in fairly good shape other than his mushy-ish base. Any hope in keeping it intact, or should I just go ahead and guillotine it in hopes of preserving as much as possible? It makes me really sad to see this king in such a sad state :( .

I included some general photos off of google images to give you an idea of the plant I'm talking about.

Thanks so much!

Attached Files:

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Nope. Partially mooshy is just the early stage of total moosh. Chops ahoy!

3. pwk

pwk Active Member

S'what I thought :( .

Thank you, Lorax, you always help me out.

I have a very similar issue with my Pachypodium lamerei/madagascar palm... and I assume the same thing is true. Do you happen to know if the snip and reroot technique will work on this guy as well?

4. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

No idea. I don't do cadeuciforms.

5. SpringTurtle

SpringTurtle Member

You can cut away all the rotted area and then plant the good parts. Let them dry after cutting them and then you can pot them and let them root. It will take some time just dont water it till it roots.

Dont water it or it will rot again.