Monkey Puzzle Tree needs help

Discussion in 'Araucariaceae' started by DHK, Jan 25, 2010.

1. DHK

DHK Member

Our monkey puzzle tree lives inside (we live in Calgary). It has recently started to turn brown. Is this due to too much watering (once every 2 weeks), too little watering, something else? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, dhk

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Probably too warm when it wants its winter dormant period. At this time of year, it needs to be kept cool, around 0 to 5°C. As to water, keep the soil just moist, neither soggy nor bone dry - try lifting the pot; if it feels very heavy for its size, it's too wet, if it feels light weight, then too dry.

Some photos would help further diagnosis.

3. DHK

DHK Member

Michael. Thank you very much for your response. On your suggestion we have moved our MPT to a cooler room. I have also attached 3 photos that illustrate the brown discolouration. Any additional thoughts would be appreciated. Cheers, Dan k

Attached Files:

4. DHK

DHK Member

Michael. Just noticed that your response said Britain 8/9. On the assumption that means you are in Britain, thought you might be interested to know that my wife and I walked the Coast to Coast trail a couple of years ago and took many photos of Monkey Puzzle Trees along the way. Some wonderful specimens were encountered. I have attached 3 photos as examples. Cheers, Dan K

Attached Files:

5. Michael F

The lead shoot at the top is still green and healthy, so it is not doomed.

Bright light - full sun if possible - will also help.

Yep, there's plenty of them over here! They even self-seed in some places.

Attached Files:

6. DHK

DHK Member

Michael. Thanks for response, again. We have moved the MPT to a cooler room and in front of a window.
    Thanks for photos of other MPT's in Britain.
    I was in Chile this summer and saw many MPT's there as well (not surprising given the genetic history). Some photos of Chile MPT's attached.
    Cheers, Dan k

Attached Files:

7. miss_myxomycete

miss_myxomycete Active Member 10 Years

I'd love to know where your pix were taken Michael! (so I can earmark a visit there soon) I haven't seen a cluster of Monkey Puzzles like that except at Bicton and Kew, and never amongst ferns. What a beautiful green landscape!

8. Michael F

Kyloe Wood in Northumberland. Access to where they are isn't too easy, though - it's a bit of a rough hike. Permissive access along designated paths, but many of the paths are very rough. The place is a big forestry plantation where someone did some experimental planting with unusual species a while ago (approx 1920 on?). Oh, and if you do go, be warned the place is absolutely full of deer ticks.
    More pics here: http://www.pinetum.org/kyloe4.htm (scroll halfway down page for Araucaria pics).

9. miss_myxomycete

miss_myxomycete Active Member 10 Years

Thanks! What a fantastic website.

We just spent time in Northumberland last August (my first visit there) and would very much love to return to explore further. Not happy about all the deer ticks though, thanks for the warning.