ficus Benjamina

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by vulcan, Jan 9, 2010.

1. vulcan

vulcan Member

I have a 6 years old bonsai (ficus benjamina)I recently re-wired it, and I don't know How long should I leave the wire on the tree. Some of my friends are telling me the tree is too old to get wired again. But what I gather from the netis the age is not a limiting factor in wiring an old bonsai. I have a nice bonsai book but dont have this specific factor. I want to know if somebody in this forum have the experience with this. Sorry I am new with bonsais.

2. 1950Greg

1950Greg Active Member

Langley, B.C. Stones throw from old HBC farm.
    Rewire according to methods in your bonsai book. How long you leave the wires on depends on the growth of the tree. Keep an eye on the branches so the wire doesn't leave indents in them.

3. vulcan

vulcan Member

he is not growing too much now in winter, but I think I am removing them in 50 days when Spring is here. Thanks. vulcan

4. KevB

KevB Member

Two to three months is usually enough for the wiring to set the branch or twigs in position. The most important part is to make sure that it is all taken off when it starts to bite in, or the scarring will never disappear. A little scarring is no big worry as it can help the illusion of age and its unnatural appearance will diminish after a few months. Next time wire in the opposite direction.