Bonsai question...

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by cndnchck, Oct 30, 2009.

1. cndnchck

cndnchck Member

I have a small bonsai tree and every day or two, I find a leaf that has fallen off. The weird part is that the leaf is not brown or dead; it is a small, fresh one. Is this normal?

I have the watering down to an art now that they invented those "water globes". I thought my plant was a goner until I bought those and now it is thriving and full of big green leaves. So, I don't think this is the reason for the leaves, as it otherwise seems healthy.

2. corcor

corcor Active Member

Sounds like shock to me, when a bonsai is moved to different conditions it will shed live green leaves, if you have moved it recently or just bought it thats probably the cause.

Another possibility is insufficent light, when a tree doesn't recieve enough light the outer and upper leaves grow larger while shedding the inner and lower leaves. This is a more efficient way of collecting light for a tree when it doesn't get enough. If this is the problem then some supplimental lighting is probably in order.

I don't know of anyone who uses those aqua globes in bonsai, but I know a lady who has and she didn't like it one bit. Bonsai are normally allowed to dry a bit between waterings. BUT...just because it doesn't work for her doesn't mean it won't work for you...If it keeps your bonsai alive why should you change it...I will say this though, keep an eye on it for yellowing leaves, the yellow will start at the veins and work it's way out to cover all the leaf...this is a good sign that the tree is getting too much water

the method I use to check if my bonsai needs watered is the chopstick method...stick a chopstick into the soil for about 3mins, pull it out and if it's damp don't water it, but if it's dry water it...hope this helps...let me know how it goes

3. cndnchck

cndnchck Member

We actually just moved a couple weeks ago and I've been noticing this since being in the new place.

That being said, it is also place on top of the kitchen cupboards (so the 2 kitties can't get at it), so I wonder about the light issue too. Also, it definitely has large outer leaves and smaller inner leaves, but only on one side. Hmm, strange.

Maybe I'll just keep an eye on it over the next bit and if it gets better, then I can blame it on the move, but if not, then maybe I should put it somewhere else with better light.

What do you think?

4. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

What kind of plant is it? Genus/species?

5. cndnchck

cndnchck Member

I have no idea. How do I tell?

6. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Post us a photo!

7. camikins

camikins Member

My hunch - based on the description and symptoms, is it's a ficus of sorts. Ficus are prone to dropping leaves regularly, but particularly so if the tree is stressed.

I'd put it somewhere reasonably bright, and don't move it around too much. Just give it a turn every week or so, so both sides are exposed to sun equally.

Once healthy, and once you notice fresh new growth, you may wish to look at what kind of medium it's in, and possibly replant in a medium comprised mostly of inorganics. For tropicals, I'd go for about 60% inorganics (e.g. turface, perlite, course sand) and 40% organics (e.g. pine bark / mulch). In the world of bonsai 40% inorganic is high, and reserved for tropicals and acid lovers like azaleas.

HTH.

8. KevB

KevB Member

The watering Globe has me worried. Plants need watering when they need it. For some species, continuous dampness causes death by root-rot.

Losing a lot of leaves can point to a root zone problem. The crucial thing is to ID your tree accurately and determine its water requirements.

None of my (many) bonsai are watered routinely, they are watered naturally or when they need it.