kiwi for shade?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by jmcivor, Jul 4, 2005.

1. jmcivor

jmcivor Member

Looking to plant a Kiwi in the shade. Does anyone know any good cultivars and where to get them?
    UBC mentioned that they have them in the Japanese Garden, does anyone know the cultivar?
    THANKS!

2. Lance

Lance Member

All the actinidia do well with at least partial shade, I know mine in full light (ha ha! there's been none for 2 months in Powell River!) requires too much water...
    But they are in fact vines which scramble wherever and full light is not a requirement for fruit production. Though of course, fruit set is better on a drip system in full light...
    Though i don't know what they have going down in town...I have 31 varities coming as scion this winter...

3. jmcivor

jmcivor Member

Thanks for the reply Lance. When is the best time to plant them? (I live in Zone 7). Your scion are all kiwi? Which cultivars?

4. Lance

Lance Member

"Arctic Beauty" is a very beautiful plant (make sure to get male and female vines!) and it is available in most of the larger nurseries. Plant them out in early spring.
    it'd take too much time to list all 31 species/cultivars. I hunt and peck type.

5. skyjs

skyjs Member

The species you want is actinidia kolomikita. This type of kiwi is known as the arctic kiwi species, as it grows way up north in Siberia. The temperate zone hardy kiwi, actinidia arguta, needs sun to grow well, and the fuzzy kiwi of grocery stores, actinidia deliciosa, would even be a worse choice than the hardy kiwi in the shade, plus it may not be hardy enough in your area. It is a subtropical plant. Think of species rather than variety. You will need male and female. The male of the arctic is quite beautiful. The female produces a delicious edible fruit, but it is not as productive as the hardy or fuzzy. But in shade, you have limited options. I hope this helps.
    John

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Actinidia kolomitka actually does better with some shade, as the leaves can be apt to fade in hot sun. Various Actinidia, including a tall A. deliciosa been grown for years in forest environment of UBC Lam Asian Garden, you could see what kind of exposures they are receiving there by paying a visit and walking around.