Seaweed

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by sue1, Sep 4, 2005.

1. sue1

sue1 Active Member 10 Years

I have moved close to the ocean. Can I put seaweed on my veg garden for over winter, or at any time? And do I dig it in, or leave on the top as a kind of mulch for winter? and how much seaweed would be most beneficial? Also, can I compost it? What about sea salt effect on the soil/plants for the following year? Could I also use it in my flower beds as a mulch or? Hope someonce can give me advice, as there is copious amounts of the stuff available where I live.

Thanks a bunch,
    Sue

2. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Sue--I've done it and it can be a lot of work trucking the stuff around and spreading it. It might be the best fertilizer anywhere, tho...certainly got every element from the ocean plus some other organic stuff that can do "wonders".

I don't think you could put on too much very easily, even a foot deep of fresh seaweed would decompose by spring to just a thin layer of seaweed "compost". So several inches would be fine. You'll find that spreading it on the surface in the fall, after your crops are done, allows it to rot over winter. Plus it protects your soil from the pounding of the rain, and worms and such are real happy with the yummy food...they actually do a lot of work mixing it down into your soil by spring in many cases. I found the soil in the spring underneath the seaweed "mulch" was the most incredible soft weed free surface for sowing that I'd ever experienced.

I have actually sprinkled garden areas with seawater to provide micronutrients, so I don't agree with those who wash their seaweed before spreading. A little bit of seawater is good for most plants in my experience. And spreading it in the fall allows our winter rains to move most of the sodium down past the root zone, while the microbes grab what nutrients they like from the ocean water. If you have asparagus, they love a bit of salt, so mulch that well. I would only be cautious with salt sensitive stuff like rhodos, but you're talking about a veggie garden where I'd just spread it everywhere.

Happy hauling, and remember to wash out the pickup well afterwards, truck and trailer bodies don't like the salt very much...

Glen

3. dghicks

dghicks Member

One caveat with seaweed: excellent stuff, but watch where you harvest. Fresh (tideline) and just above is usually good, but the higher up on the beach, the older and on many beaches this seaweed contains a heavy load of pernicious weed seeds: and when a seaside plant, adapted to harsh conditions, finds its way into the coddled realm of the veggie garden, look out; you'll be dealing with it for years. Otherwise, there's nothing better for your garden.