Identification: Need Help Identifying this plant/succulent

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by pugmom, Jan 22, 2010.

1. pugmom

pugmom Member

When I purchased this plant at a "Farmers Market" last June I was told it was a Lamb's Ear. I wanted to divide it so I went to research lamb's ear and see that it is not that. Can anyone help me find out the correct name of this plant and how best to divide and care for it? Thank you! P.S. the first picture is the original plant, the second (sorry, I don't know how to switch the view) is the one that is too tall and needs to be repotted. There are no spots or strips on this plant.

Attached Files:

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

looks to be some type of crassula. possibly a senecio.

3. Andrey Zharkikh

Andrey Zharkikh Well-Known Member 10 Years

Crassula seems to have opposite leaves. This plans is with alternative leaves.

4. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Some kind of stonecrop, maybe?

5. pugmom

pugmom Member

Thanks for the suggestions, I will look up senecio and stonecrop. anymore suggestions?

6. Rosemarie

Rosemarie Active Member

I believe you have an Echeveria there. If it is as large as I think (how large is the pot/plant?), it may be Echeveria gibbiflora. You don't usually see the straight species, so it is most likely a hybrid (this species is used extensively in hybridizing).

In the first pic, you have an inflorescence growing. When it blooms, please come back & post a pic of it. That will help to ID it...confirming Echeveria or pointing elsewhere.

The leaves on the flower stalk rule out Senecio, though there are some that look just like this. If the inflorescence had not been present, I would've thought the same thing, Joclyn. :)

If this is a tiny plant, Stonecrop (Sedum) might fit, but the 2nd pix seems to show how huge it is. What is the length of the leaves?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  7. togata57

My stonecrops are every bit as big as the plant in photos: bigger, in fact.

8. Rosemarie

Rosemarie Active Member

Really?!? Wow...I'd like to see them. Do you have any pix?

Oh, I think I know...I'm thinking of Two-row Stonecrop, whereas you are probably referring to the types called Showy Stonecrop or other, right? That's the trouble with common names...got me confused. Sorry!

9. togata57

Yep, I have Showy. Also have a small-leaved sedum, which is a great ground cover...very persistent and enthusiastic! Have to remove clumps of it regularly or it would overrun everything.

10. pugmom

pugmom Member

Rosemarie; The white part you see came from being in the sun too long, I think. I had put this plant in the garage during our very, unusual, cold weather we had for 2 weeks; I live in North Florida. I happen to notice that discoloration after I left the plant out in the sun to get warmed up.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will check out Showy Stoncrop.

b.

11. pugmom

pugmom Member

No,it is not a showy stonecrop. The leaves are very think and it does not have any flowers. Guess we'll just have to keep looking for more help.

b.

12. togata57

Agree that yours is not Showy---but there are a whole lot of Sedums out there.

www.sedumphotos.net

For all sedum enthusiasts...this site will keep you looking!
    pugmom, perhaps your plant could be submitted in the 'Mystery Plant' category on this site.

13. Rosemarie

Rosemarie Active Member

I'm confused, pugmom. I didn't mention anything about a "white part"...unless you thought that's what I meant when I was talking about the flower stalk that is growing (called an inflorescence). I did ask the size of the leaves (up to 3 to 4 inches?). I still believe it is an Echeveria gibbiflora or hybrid of that.

14. joclyn

i think rosemarie is correct about echeveria gibbiflora/possible hybrid of. she usually is correct when she id's something - she really knows her succs :)

i googled the name and found some pics that look virtually identical to the plant pictured here. some don't and that's due to there being quite a few varieties. and then there are hybrids to consider, too. this one may, indeed, be a hybrid.

echeveria gibbiflora pics

whatever it is, it IS in the crassulaceae family. i wasn't specific enough in my first post and only named genus; not family. echeveria is another genus in the crassulaceae family.

i would suggest going with the general care for crassulaceae and your plant will be fine. i'd also suggest posting pics once the flowers open...sometimes the flower is the tell, rather than the leaves. especially when you're talking about crassulaceae as most of them can so easily be cross-bred with other genus within the family.

15. pugmom

pugmom Member

Thanks for ALL the help! My plant does look more like a scheveria gibbiflora than anything I have seen. I will definitely check out the crassulaceae family for care suggestions. It has been great to get everyone's input. This is a wonderful site.

becky

16. Andrey Zharkikh

Andrey Zharkikh Well-Known Member 10 Years

All Sedum species I saw in photos and in my collection have opposite leaves, whereas Echeverias are mostly with alternate leaves. Just a thought...

17. Rosemarie

Rosemarie Active Member

Please come back & post pix of it when it blooms. That will help tremendously with the ID.

18. pugmom

pugmom Member

I will be sure to send pictures when/if it blooms. I really appreciate everyone's help, it has been all great.

becky

19. pugmom

pugmom Member

I have posted 2 new pictures, has this "flowered" now?

Rosemarie, I hope this is what you were asking for.

Again, thanks for everyone's help. I hope you will continue with your great comments.

Attached Files:

20. joclyn

mostly looks like new leaves...those at the very tip of the growth may turn out to be buds/flowers at some point.

most of these types (echeveria as well as sempervivum) do put out a 'stalk' and some have leaves along the stalk with the flowers just at the end of it and others have stalks that are bare of leaves and just have the flowers at the tip...and others have stalks that have flowers running up/down it as well as at the tip.

it's a bit frustrating, lol. still, usually well worth the wait as the flowers are usually very pretty.

21. pugmom

pugmom Member

joclyn; thanks for the input. i will keep looking for flowers.

becky

22. Rosemarie

Rosemarie Active Member

Pugmom,
    It'll be awhile before it blooms. I wasn't sure when you had taken the other pix. Thanks for these additional pix! :) The inflorescence can grow quite tall. As it stretches out, you can watch for the development of the buds at the end of the stalk.

I've been looking all morning for a particular pic of mine from the past, a hybrid Echeveria (with E. gibbiflora in the parentage mix), showing the inflorescence. Haven't found that particular pic just yet, so others may have to do until then. *Update: Yay! I found it. Hoping to show 2. One of this plant, Echeveria 'Mahogany Rose', when the inflorescence just started & the other when it is in bloom.

From these pix, you can see my plant with E. gibbiflora as a parent, contributing to the large size, and get an idea how the inflorescence grows & what to expect from the bloom!

Sorry, didn't answer the question you asked. No it hasn't flowered yet. I think Joclyn already said what I was thinking! :D

Attached Files:

23. pugmom

pugmom Member

Great pictures! I guess I have a while to see what mine will do. Look forward to showing you more pictures when the flowers come.

becky

24. Rosemarie

Rosemarie Active Member

Just found that this forum will be closing (archiving) by the 23rd, so just wanted to say, if you want to post pix of your plant when it blooms, please join thegardenforums.org & post them in the Cacti & Succulent forum.

It's been nice here! Thanks, Daniel & the rest of the crew for such a fabulous job! Sorry to see it go. Hope everyone has good luck with all their C&S!
    Toodles!