British Columbia: pawlonia/empress tree

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by azalea46, Jan 1, 2010.

1. azalea46

azalea46 Member

Is this tree considered invasive on vancouver island?

2. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

I sure hope not, these trees are expensive to acquire and remain a true beauty with ample space to reveal their impressive shape, blooms and foliage.
    Do send any unwanted saplings to Vancouver!

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Easily acquired and fast-growing, in need of warm sheltered position so naked over-wintering flower buds not repeatedly frosted, leaves developing holes in gales. Flowers also best viewed from above, as their similar soft coloring is lost against the sky. Large, soft (except for hard fruits) , abundant parts unsuitable for turf or pavement, also very shady beneath.

I would never buy a large or expensive one. Outlets down here often display them in small sizes, once established these grow yards per year when young. First few or more years immature uppermost parts die back in winter, eventually this stops.

Dry summers here apparently preclude abundant reproduction seen in presumably much more suitable hot and wet summers of eastern North America. A few seedlings do manage to come up among rocks on properties here, apparently protected from drought when tiny by the rocks - as are cactus seedlings in nature.

Only time I have seen a number of them come up in one spot here is when one of my trees seeded into the abundantly irrigated garden across the street, where there was a section of unoccupied, bare or thinly mulched bed.

4. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Ron... these trees are not easily acquired. As You are not in British Columbia, may I suggest that you reference our post. Paulownias are expensive and are not readily available everywhere as you suggest. You are correct that they are prolific in growth habit when young. Our specimen tree sources have quality P. but they are too dear for most ardent gardeners. One day borders will be broken, and the cheap versions will flow northward.

5. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

6. middendigger

middendigger Member

hey azalea.

i am on vancouver island and have never had any problems with pawlonia. they do grow incredibly fast but the specimens i have planted have never produced seedlings. i planted a 3 foot specimen to hide a telephone pole in a client's garden and within 3 years it was over 25 feet tall. will let you know if i can find a one or two gallon specimen from one of the nurseries i deal with as these are quite inexpensive.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  7. LAUREL

LAUREL Member

I would very much like to know the nurseries in victoria/sidney that have these trees.

8. middendigger

middendigger Member

I would call Brentwood Bay Nursery, they have a very progressive selection of plants. I will check my wholesaler to see if they have any stock or other possible suppliers.

9. LAUREL

LAUREL Member

Thank you, I will try Brentwood and shall keep you posted. Thanks again..

10. middendigger

middendigger Member

hi laurel, i don't know if you had any luck with Brentwood Bay Nursery but i can get a two gallon from my wholesaler, don't know if you are in the trade as they don't sell to the public, let me know and how many and i will see what i can do. (around $25 each)

11. Tom Hulse

Tom Hulse Active Member 10 Years

If any of you ever cross the border to visit Seattle, or go outlet mall shopping, etc., then let me know and I'll give you some great nurseries down here that have them cheap. I got mine in Mt. Vernon (about 1.5 hrs South of Vancouver) for $10 (1 gal) on sale ($20 reg price). And I know there are several nurseries closer to Seattle that have them for fairly cheap.
    Do make sure to buy the least expensive size they have. Because these grow so fast, paying for a bigger one would be a waste of money. :)

edit: I have a sucker I could share if anyone gets down around the Marysville area (1.75 hrs South of Vancouver).

12. Ron B

Anything crossing the border needs to follow agricultural protocols. See about this before making the trip, attempting to bring plants back.

13. LAUREL

LAUREL Member

middendigger; Brentwoodbay has to check there stock, they said they had some babies last year...she is gonna call back..I shall keep you posted...

14. Ron B