: ) seeds you have, and seeds you want...

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by The Hollyberry Lady, May 11, 2009.

1. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Well i think you will be very happy with what i am sending.

Gotta go....we have company at the door.

Have a good night.

2. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

Hollyberry Lady - sorry to jump into your thread here, but I wanted to contact you about a potential plant trade, but can't seem to PM or e-mail you. You can contact me that way, if you wish.

3. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

I am all done trading until late winter/early Spring unfortunately - this is why my pm setting is off temporarily...

Sorry for the incovenience, but definitely catch me in late winter/early Spring...

What are you looking for, by the way?

: )

P.S. Don't worry about cutting in...you are more than welcome. This thread has now been moved to the conversation section, so we can discuss things here as well...

4. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

I heard that you might have an Ensete ventricosum 'Maurelii' that you might want to part with. Bananas in general are hard to find. Lorax gave me that tip (I am Kevin on the Banana forum). So far, I only know of two places that have it, and that can ship, one it sounds like of them will no longer be selling bananas. I'm looking for any type of banana, really, but I saw one of these in Vancouver, and it was amazing! I have a thread on the banana forum about this - post on there, and we can talk.

Thanks.

5. The Hollyberry Lady

I may have a few of those seeds left but I wouldn't get your hopes up because I suspect they might be really old ~ and besides I don't really trade those ones as I received them in trade myself.

Don't be too disappointed though because to this day I've never had one sprout for me anyway!

: o

I would just love to get my hands on some banana seeds that I knew for certain were fresh...bet I'd have much better success, because at this point I am nearly developing a complex! I have never had one sprout for me yet. Then again, they all came from trades.

I would much prefer to try to sprout them myself and then send you a plant, which I attempting to do for someone else right now, who sent me their seeds and asked me to germinate them for them.

I am sorry that I am not really able to help you out right now, but possibly later...

As for banana plants...

I am not the person to ask for those. I am just a new banana grower myself, and all of the pups and seeds I have were given to me in trades on IBS.

6. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

No problem. Thanks for the help. Just to clarify - you have seeds of the 'Maurelii'? I wasn't aware that they flowered. Well, I guess most plants flower, but I thought it was grown just as an ornamental. A question for the banana forum I guess.

7. The Hollyberry Lady

Oh no, it might not be maurelli...I'd have to look. I was sent a few types. I'll check them in the morning for you...

8. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Kevin, seed is how Ensete is normally propagated... Here's regular E. ventricosum blooming, if you didn't think it happened. The ones here seem to pop about every 5-6 years or so. They're not normally grown for their flowers, which is perhaps why you haven't heard of if.

This Enste was about 40 feet tall (pseudostem and leaves combined) when it bloomed.

Attached Files:

9. The Hollyberry Lady

That's what I have seeds for...the regular E. Ventricosum.

10. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

If you wanted to Tissue Culture a Maurelii, I could possibly send a leaf/stem. Seeds wont guarantee that you get a Maurelii; I've heard its a 1:10000 chance if not greater.

I saw one at Lowes about a week after I got mine in trade so don't rule out big box stores. ;)

11. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

I don't do TC, but thanks for the offer. I always assumed that a plant name in quotes was a clone, in which case, it would be impossible to duplicate by seed. Maybe 'Maurelii' is not a clone?

This is getting off topic, like I tend to do. A question for another forum.

12. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

lorax - thanks for that info. A 40' banana?! That must have been something to see! How long are the leaves? They seem to be quite large.

13. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Well, it's ok to go off topic, we've already been moved to Conversations anywho. :P

'Maurelii' is a rare genetic variation, and many/most Maurelii's are indeed clones, but they can be grown from seed - very very rarely.
    A plant name in quotes following the full latin name means a subspecies - a slight variation. I own an Elephant Ear subspecies known as 'Illustris' in which the "ear" has black/super-duper-deep purple variations - stunning in bright sun.

14. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

Quotes must mean different things for different plants. For orchids, quotes means a clone - always. I get confued with terms like cultivar and strain, since I am most familiar with the orchid naming system, where, as far as I know, there are no cultivars.

If Enste ventricosum 'Maurelii' is a genetic variety of the species, shouldn't it be written: Ensete ventricosum var. Maurelii? Cultivars, in my mind, are man-made hybrids or selected varieties. If you have a clone of Maurelii, then you should be able to name it, since it is unique - it is a single plant grown from seed, therefore it will not have the identical genetic make-up of the others of the varitey. It would be Ensete ventricosum var. Maurelii 'clonal name'. Of course, it would be best if this clone had some visible characteristics that were different from the majority of the variety, or there wouldn't be much point in giving it a name. This terminology gets rather confusing when there isn't a concrete set way of doing things.

15. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Well, I'm no expert in nomenclature of anything outside video games. I've seen it multiple ways, though I've not heard of Maurelii referred to anything as specific as a cultivar. If it were a named clone like someone's personal sally-suzie sunflower, I'd think it would be less common, less known, and Google unable to find pictures. I know with peonies they create completely new species and give 'em names, but I've never heard of the same being done with bananas due to how many life times that would take.

I didn't realize you were into orchids; I've always been interested though I only have one of those mass produced varieties from the big box stores. Would not have gone with the investment for such little uniqueness but it was on clearence so I splurged a bit. ;)

16. Both E. Maurellii and E. Ventricosum ( in fact all the Ensetes) can be unnaturally induced to produce "pups" using various stresses. It's been proven that chopping the mother plant down to the corm will produce many pups that would otherwise not occur under other circumstances. Definitely worth a shot.

E. Maurellii will often revert to an all green form for no apparent reason. However E. ventricosum doesn't "revert" to the red tinged form.

17. The Hollyberry Lady

Thanks for the information, Farmer Brown. How interesting!

18. lorax

Somewhere in the realm of 10-15' long, about 4' broad at the widest. And that's for a fully grown Ensete that was stunted by altitude. I've seen them get much much bigger towards the Amazon.

Theoretically, this is how it should work. However, the Musaceae is an unholy mess taxonomically. The genetic mutation that produces E. ventricosum 'Maurelii' (and that's how it appears in almost all of the literature) is the same kind of mutation that produces the edible cultivars of Musa, so it's generally named as a cultivar, albeit a naturally occurring one. It might interest you to know that the Sucrier group of cultivars, which have AA genetics (making them purely Musa acuminata) also occur naturally in very small numbers where there are large populations of regular M. acuminata - these are the varieties collectively called Musa 'Orito' in Latin America.

19. Lilithv

Lilithv Member

20. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Yes, but who in their right mind would want to chop down their only Maurelii? :P

21. lorax

After it blooms? Might as well.

22. The Hollyberry Lady

Your Punica Granatum seeds, Lilithv...

They wouldn't happen to be 'nana' the dwarf pomegranate variety, would they?

23. The Hollyberry Lady

Here's what I'm doing today with some more ornamental grass seeds I picked up at wal-mart yesterday, along with some supplies - as if I didn't have tons already!! Gonna sow some this afternoon.

I've had these types before and they create a 'strawberries and cream' effect when grown together. They're perennial and grow 5-7' tall...

Attached Files:

24. Jolyn

Jolyn Member

This sounds like a lot of fun..Here's what I have so far. (Herbs) cilentro, sweet basil, white yarrow. I have jalapeno, pablano & habanaro peppers. (flowers) 4 o'clocks, ageratium and I just found out the name of my space alien plant. (lol) It is a Turk's Turban or clerodendrum indicum. I forgot to write down my want list from what all was listed but I will go back cause some of them sound exciting. Thanks Joy Ok here is my want list: Coffee beans, any edible hot pepper. bolivian rainbow, fish (heirloom), purple tiger, jimmy nardello sweet pepper, fruit basket sweet orange pepper, and horehound seeds. I like unusual plants so any seeds would be appreciated.

25. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

I was going to pick up the same thing today at Rona, but decided against it. I don't have room, and I'm not sure how fast they are to germinate and mature. They aren't hardy here, and they are perennial, so they probably wouldn't flower until next year, right?