Honduras fruit tree - name?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by andydemming, Jan 18, 2010.

1. andydemming

andydemming Member

Hello - This is a fruit tree picture I took in pastureland north of Copan Ruins, Honduras. Please note the texture of the bark and the long stem attaching the fruit to the tree as well as the dark green color of the skin. I don't know if the fruit is ripe or if it changes color when ripe.
    Thanks, Andy

Attached Files:

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

It's a Vasconcella; the common name in Latin America is Frutin. The fruits are red-orange when ripe.

3. andydemming

andydemming Member

Well, Thank you, Lorax! I am reading more about this fruit and the different varieties. I learn more from my trip after I get home organizing slide-shows with captions making it a continuation of the journey!
    Andy

4. cedartable

cedartable Member

Might it be Carica papaya - note the shape of the leaves?

5. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

See this thread for more information on how Carica papaya is related to Vasconcella spp.

6. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Cedar, the leaves are characteristic of almost all of the Vasconcellas, as well as Carica (to which everything in Vasconcella once belonged.) However, Carica papaya doesn't bear its fruit in that manner - it bunches them at the top of the plant, right below the leaves. The distributed fruit along the stem is the visual diagnostic for Vasconcella.

I was able to ID the fruit because I recognise it - my neighbours are growing it. Frutin is not so hot for eating (quite bitter and a bit latex-y), but it's an excellent remedy for worms and gapes in chickens.

7. andydemming

andydemming Member

Thank you...I agree Vasconella it is.

Andy

8. cedartable

cedartable Member

That's very interesting. Thank you, Lorax, for the explanation. I will have to look more carefully at the Carica papaya that grows here, in Bermuda.
    Cedartable.