growing tomatoes

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by tgplp, Jan 13, 2010.

1. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

Good question...I assumed it was water soluble...

: )

2. jreidsma

jreidsma Active Member

nice fertilizer experiments. I totaly agree with this addiction thing. I have more desert rose seeds and I really want to plant them now but im making myself wait untill it warms up a little bit outside. (or until I get a lamp LOL!) I also will be walking through a store and a cool looking plant will be there and I end up buying it but wont have enough room for it so I have plants and animals every were.

3. tgplp

tgplp Active Member

The fertilizer is meant to be used in water... I think.... This fertilizer is in a glass jar, and it does not have directions on it! There is some sort of clear liquid in the jar, which is the fertilizer. I really don't know anything about fertilizing plants... :) I don't understand anything. That is why it is a bad thing that there are no directions on the glass jar. Does anyone know what this is?! Should I just put a few drops of it in water, and then water my seedlings? What should I do? Maybe I should test it on one seedling...?
    ~tgplp :)

4. JanR

JanR Active Member

I am afraid that my inclination would be to throw it away and buy some new fertilizer. You would never know if you were doing the right thing or not. It could be already diluted and then if you diluted it some more, it wouldn't do much good. Not worth the risk IMO.

5. The Hollyberry Lady

Are you able to post a shot of the fertilizer, Tgplp?

If it has aged and gone bad, I am afraid Jan is right, and it would be better to just go buy some new stuff.

I just wanna make sure it has in fact gone bad, so if you can post a pic this would be most helpful...

6. jreidsma

jreidsma Active Member

I would just throw it away and get some tomato spikes. Maricle grow brand ones are good for all ages of tomato infact you can even grow a seed with it in the dirt right next to the seed. I dont know if they sell it where you live but they should.

7. tgplp

tgplp Active Member

Even if I did put a picture of the fertilizer on, it probably wouldn't do any good. It's just some clear liquid! I think JanR's right, I should buy more fertilizer.

8. tgplp

tgplp Active Member

Um, I have another question about the tomato seedlings. How old should they be when I thin them? You see, I have them in trays with individual cells. There are about two or three tomato seedlings in each cell. Some seedlings are beginning to get little true leaves. Should I thin them so that there is only one seedling in each cell? The cells are about 3 inches by 3 inches, and are about 2 inches deep. Should I also put the seedlings in deeper pots?

9. JanR

JanR Active Member

As soon as they have their first true leaves, I would pick the strongest one and snip off the other ones with a pair of scissors. Myself, I have a real hard time killing off healthy seedlings. Sometimes I will wait until their first transplant, gently tease them apart and plant them both in separate 3-4inch pots. I usually only plant 2 seeds per sections as i have found that the germination is very good with purchased seeds and I really hate to discard any plants. If the seeds have been saved by myself or someone else I will usually plant around 4 seeds, as I have found that the germination is not as good.

With tomatoes, I will plant them as deep as possible. Right up to the bottom of the first true leaves.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  10. tgplp

tgplp Active Member

JanR,
    the seedlings have small true leaves, should I transplant and thin them anyways? Or should I wait until the true leaves are bigger?

11. JanR

JanR Active Member

I would wait until they were a good size, you could even wait until they have a second set of leaves. I would only do it earlier if you wanted to try and save more than one seedling.

12. tgplp

tgplp Active Member

I want to save more then one seedling, but I don't have room in the garden for very many tomatoes! I have some room on the porch, but not many large enough containers... :( I feel guilty when I have to thin my seedlings!
    I will wait until the seedlings' true leaves are bigger. Maybe even until they have a second pair of tiny true leaves.

13. The Hollyberry Lady

Don't forget too, you can always give them to friends...

I have lots of pals who just love to be given free plants and I bet you do too.

If you live in an apartment building, just leave the plants in the lobby with a sign that reads..."Free Plants"...they'll be gone within the hour!

14. tgplp

tgplp Active Member

You're right, I bet lots of people would love having a tomato plant... I'm not sure, though, since I've never seen anyone who has tomato plants around here... I guess there isn't great weather for tomatoes! :) I still try to grow them, anyways... I have family in Eastern Washington, where it is warmer. Maybe they would like some tomato plants!