Need to identify new orchid

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by davemaque, Dec 23, 2007.

1. davemaque

davemaque Member

Hi everyone. I have received a very healthy potted plant consisting of four identical individual orchid plants. 8-12 buds/blooms per stem. Plants are about 3 feet high with blooms nearly 5 inches across (see attached pictures). Leaves are very long, thin and pointy with a lenth of approximately 30 inches.

I would like to be able to identify the orchid and learn what I need to do in order to take care of it. Any information you could supply would be of great use to me.

Cheers,

Dave

p.s. the red berries in the photograph are decorations which came with the plant and are vestigal in nature.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2007
  2. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Cymbidium of some kind ?

3. arcticshaun

arcticshaun Active Member

I would descibe your plant as a Standard (refers to the size) Cymbidium orchid. Exact identification of which hybrid is impossible because there are so many Cymbidium hybrids which look similar. Before I gave mine away (too large) I grew my Cymbidium out on my deck from first to last frost in full sun (acclimitize leaves to full sun slowly or they will burn). Generally they are midwinter to early spring bloomers with flowering initiated by cool nights in late summer and fall. Cymbidiums are fairly heavy feeders compared to most orchids so regular fertilizing 1/4 to 1/2 strength while growing. Mine became a monster which blew open a 1 gallon pot after a good rain and then took up half my living room all winter (spectacular, long lasting blooms). I found Cymbidiums easy to grow and flower just a little too large for my house. Now I only grow a Golden Elf which is only 18" tall and doesn't need cool nights.

Shaun

4. oberfeldwebel

oberfeldwebel Active Member

Lovely flower - I had a similar sized Cymbidium that rotted on me which let a bad taste in my mouth and I've never been back. You make it sound easy, Shaun... I didn't have mine in very good light as I was led to believe they were totally shade... I might have to try another now that I live in a place with a better light situation.

5. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

I agree with arcticshaun. 'Easy', though is a general term, but, if you can provide the conditions, great. I have had trouble with the cool temps and high light for the winter. The are spectacular when grown well, but do get huge! Good luck with yours!

6. DirOCRC

DirOCRC Member

Genus: Cymbidium
    Group: Cymbidiums, Catasetums, ect............
    Sunbfamily: Epidendroideae
    Tribe: Cymbidieae
    Subtribe: Cytopodinae
    Abbr: Cym

As for its common name just look on the online, I would start Cymbidium Hybrid pictures.