winter assessment

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by honolua, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Bananajoe001

Bananajoe001 Member

Lets just pray for a very early Spring and the way things are shaping up, it kind of looks that way. It already feels like spring so I won't complain. There will be alot of early Daffs this year if the mild or seasonal weather continues. Us palm growers are loving it!! Great pics Barrie. Cheers, Joe

2. leaf kotasek

leaf kotasek Active Member

the forsythia is blooming! and snowdrops! and the crocuses are poking up!!!!! i'm so stoked i can't sit still. i have to go run around outside. cya!

:]

3. johnnyjumpup

johnnyjumpup Active Member

Good for the snowdrops! It seems very early for the forsythia though, even on Vancouver Island. Might it be that yellow flowered winter jasmine?

4. Bananajoe001

Bananajoe001 Member

Re: Jasmine nudiflorum

Winter Jasmine is flowering here, but haven't seen Forsythia yet. Also Grevillea canberra is starting to bloom. Here is one I filmed this morning, couldn't get real close up because it was in a private garden. This one is loaded with red flower buds starting to open. www.youtube.com/watch?v=DviqM1aqggU

5. johnnyjumpup

I haven't a prayer that a Grevillea will survive here but am thinking of trying out a jasmine nudiflorum if I can lay my hands on one. The book says zone 6 but that might be an American zone 6. Maybe against the house on the south side? I'm pretty sure the root would survive away from the house because of the snow cover but it might not ever flower there. Might not ever flower against the house either.

6. leaf kotasek

nope, johnnyjumpup, it's definitely not winter jasmine. it's forsythia! ;D and i'm reallyreally excited about it! huzzah!

it is freakishly early for forsythia, i know. but it's certainly forsythia and it's only starting to bloom. just barely. let's just accept this as a miracle of nature and get all excited and stuff!

sorry. too much blossom-induced euphoria/excitement makes me get sillyful.

:)

7. johnnyjumpup

One up for Vancouver Island! Forsythia in January!

8. leaf kotasek

i went back and checked on the forsythia this morning (it's at my neighbor's place); it's planted on the south side of the house right up against the wall. that might have something to do with it.