winter assessment

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by honolua, Jan 10, 2010.

1. honolua

honolua Active Member

Hi all,
    How is everyone's garden doing this winter, especially here in the pacific northwest? Mild winter has brought an AMAZING amount of rain, leaving wrapped up plants in warm, fungus-growing climates. Well, at least so far, no snow and no ice.

What about others?

2. leaf kotasek

leaf kotasek Active Member

i'm on the island, too, so i guess you already know about the weather i'm experiencing. :) i don't have a garden of my own at the place i'm living in now, but the landlady does.

her garden has beautiful bones, if you know what i mean. interesting textures in the trees and shrubs and the snowberries are always lovely. the sword ferns didn't get squashed by snow so they're still erect and happyful and the figs trees look beautiful even without leaves; i love their smooth bark and their buds.

my house-jungle is growing like stink; new leaves EVERYWHERE, especially on the schefflera actinophylla, the philodendrons and the rosemary.

i'm looking forward to spring! i plan on growing a lot of tomatoes and spinach (as always) and a bunch of peas.

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Worst winter for 28 years here, 3 weeks snow & ice.

4. honolua

honolua Active Member

Hi Michael.

You have my sympathy. We had that last year. Same thing; snow for 3 weeks and the "record-setting" amounts of snow in over 51 years. So, I know what you are going through. We have seen the footage on the news and so, we are all thinking of the UK. I was surprised how the things I expected to survive the horror of the snow did not, and yet, other plants and trees that should have died, did now. Go figure. Good luck and let us know how things are, once you get a chance to defrost and assess the damage!

5. leaf kotasek

leaf kotasek Active Member

i worked as a freelance gardener here on vancouver island for a few years (up until school got hectic this september, actually); the aftermath of last winter was outright tragic. you wouldn't believe how many dead ficus and california lilacs (for example) i had to deal with. it was really sad; a few people cried openly about losing beloved plants. semi-hardy shrubs and container plants seemed to take it the worst.

that said, i still feel that a lot of the damage could've been prevented by good mulch. one lady nearly lost an entire california lilac hedge last winter--- it wasn't even mulched! ...but it is now, and hopefully that'll help next time we have a harsh winter.

best wishes, michael f! keep brushing snow off your shrubs and trees--- and hang in there.

6. johnnyjumpup

johnnyjumpup Active Member

At least it's not months of snow and ice. Hard to take when you're not used to it though. Hope you don't lose any treasured plants.

7. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

The hardiest cultivars of California Lilac breezed through last winter without even a mark. Luckily I have those in my garden. This year a flowering Musa velutina on my deck in January.

Cheers, LPN.

Attached Files:

8. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

Bear in mind, fellow islanders, that the last couple of years have seen mild Jan-Febs, followed by brutal March-April weather, as low as -17 around here....so says my formerly glorious Acacia dealbata, slammed by a nasty March. Still a lot of winter left.

9. Re: Weather Observing in the Gulf Islands

You better get a new Thermometer, because never has it been that cold here in March or April. Even on the top of Mt. Bruce it wouldn't have been that cold. The record low temp. for Ganges is only -15 C.. That was back in Dec. 1968. One of the coldest areas in the winter on SSI is Cusheon Lake. -17.5 C. was recorded there in Dec. 1990, but never in March or April. . If it was that cold at that time of the year every marginal species of plant would be wiped out, big time. Escallonias, Cistus, Grevilleas, Callistemon, etc. I'm sure the palms would be killed too. www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3Nz23CMFQA Cheers, Banana Joe

10. woodschmoe

Oops...-13; -17 with wind chill, but that doesn't matter plant-wise. Still, the point remains: March can be nasty, mild jan-febs. aside. I don't recall saying I live on Saltspring, Joe; I'm well north of you. Thanks for the informative overview of the weather on your island, though. Unfortunately, I already have a nice thermometer of which I am very fond, and environment canada as a back up. Don't recall saying I had Escallonia, Cistus, Grevillea, Callistemon, or palms either....you know what they say about assumptions...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  11. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Same here Michael.

We are slowwwwwwly thawing out, maybe monday my shopping can be normal, like walk to the bus stop lolol instead of calling for a taxi.

I see lots of green at the minute. Its some green on the huge green accoss from my window, green parts in my back lawn, and my plant pots have lost the icecreame cone look.

I know a couple of Terracotter pots have split due to the earlier frost, they will recycle and the plants resited elsewhere.

Most of the border plants from my lounge window seem to have survived i.e Rhodedendren, Acapanthus, Forest Flame.

I expect the small daffs/Narsiuss will have survived also the Snowdrops. I expect to see new life soon in my little troupers Violas, and bulbs should soon show.

This week there was signs of new buds on a new Acer...how exciting lol

12. johnnyjumpup

Green sounds very hopeful. How lucky to have the snowdrops and small daffodils and violas blooming (potentially) already!! I don't expect to seem mine until at least March.

I have fuzzy buds on my magnolia but, to be fair, they were there in the fall. I live in anticipation of the spring.

I am amazed your agapanthus survives outdoors in a pot over the winter. Bit of envy there.

13. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Of course Johnny I have yet to make a real assessment of the Snowdrops and small Daffs,

I would need wellies on lol to get accross the back lawn to the boarder so some days off that yet.

The Agapanthus has survived in the pot it was bought in last summer late on. What it was it was dirt cheap end of summer bargain so its not actually flowered for me...hope it does this year.

When I bought the plant I just put the pot on the boarder to fend for itself lol

The Violas were in flower in september when they were delivered, they still have some flowers. I have about five pots of those, thirty plants or so..

..What Violas died during the snow should as you mention come back in spring till mid summer at least. ..never failed yet..

14. johnnyjumpup

Love violas. Want spring, right now!!

15. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I think (but am not sure) the original poster wanted to talk about Outdoor Tropicals and winter damage, but since this turned into more of a winter damage / assessment from around the world, I've moved it to Conversations.

16. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

No Daniel.

The poster wanted to know how our gardens faired over the winter.

We spoke about winter in the garden. We spoke about plants. I am not saying it does'nt belong in general chat (conversations) but please moderate after reading what the thread starter wants to know, and when we have strayed from the topic -- thanks!.

Its getting so I am concerned about adding to threads there is so much moderating going on now.

Its a plant forum, we spoke about plants.

17. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Violas Johhny will know when its spring lol

Patience johnnyjumpup!

18. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes, but it was originally posted to the Outdoor Tropicals forum, so it is confusing to me as to whether the original poster intended for it to be strictly about the winter weather and outdoor tropicals, or whether it is a more general discussion about winter weather and plants. I'm not making any judgment on the content of this thread, I just want the discussion in an appropriately-categorized forum. Honolua will have to clarify.

19. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Thanks Daniel!

We will wait before posting any more in the thread, or I will.

20. kaspian

kaspian Active Member 10 Years

This is the only time of year when my Maine garden looks absolutely perfect: when the gritty reality is buried under a foot of snow.

Winter here has been "seasonable," as they say -- which basically means no worse than usual. We are nominally in the warmer part of Zone 5, which means temps can typically drop to minus 15F, but thus far we have only gotten down into the lower single digits above zero. With snow cover, which is good. We are sheltered from cold NW winds by a friendly mountain on one side, and buffered from extreme cold by Penobscot Bay on the other.

All of which is to say, there is absolutely nothing happening in my frozen garden, where even my cat fears to tread. This is a wonderful time for poring over garden catalogs and planning the beautiful garden which will surely arise from the battered detritus of last year's disappointments. I just blogged about this for Down East in case anyone is interested.

As long as the snow cover holds -- and there seems no danger of losing this, as we have not seen temperatures above freezing for a couple of weeks now, with more snow expected Sunday -- I don't expect any winter losses. I've even been so reckless this year as to leave all the bamboo stands unprotected (heretofore I have usually bent the canes to the ground and anchored them with evergreen boughs) and it is pleasant to look out and see these graceful survivors waving in the breeze above the solid mantle of white.

In a way, it's a relief to have a long season of indolence, free of the nagging thought that I really ought to be outside doing something in the garden.

21. Bananajoe001

Bananajoe001 Member

Your location does say Gulf Islands and right away I assume you are either on SSI or on one of the surrounding islands near me. I appologize for assuming that. So you are obviousley not on our Rock. You there for must be on one of the northern Gulf Islands to record min. temps. so cold. Also I didn't say you grew the plants I mentioned, I just stated if temps. that low were felt here those species of plants would be wiped out. Glad to hear you have a nice thermometer. Cheers, Joe

22. woodschmoe

Yah, northern isle. Surprising, the winter temp. difference between the south and mid-north island regions; I lived on saltspring for a while, and the winter lows are far worse up here, combined with a micro-climate on my land that's summer hot and winter cold....colder than one would think, for a coastal island. Sorry for an overly testy reply; chalk lt up to a month of rain.

23. Bananajoe001

Bananajoe001 Member

Re:Gulf Islands

There are so many microclimates on this island it's not even funny. Some very cool ones and some very mild ones. The coldest Winter regions on this island are Blackburn area, Cusheon Lake, Cranberry Valley & Burgoyne Valley. Can't forget about the highest mountain tops either. It did rain pretty good here in the early morning, but by 11 am the sun was out and the temps. were very mild. I lined the soccer fields today for Saturdays game. Yesterday we had 47 mm of precip. and this morning another 10mm. Thank god the islands are high and dry and we never have to worry about flooding. Here is a vid. I shot of a mild microclimate on our island. www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRf2cXDMhcM Cheers, Joe

24. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Nice one Joe! I'd hoped you could bring a sensable overview to the topic. The Old Scott Rd garden has to be one of the primo micro-climates in the region.
    We've had the rare, one off freak late winter early spring slush fests, but as quick as they've shown ... quick as they go.
    One of the more notable was April 19 of '08 when we got slammed with heavy wet snow in the morning hours. Lightening and thunder with snow flakes as big as quarters, and by noon the melt was on. Crazy that day as I'd never seen anything like it before. I wish I had video of that morning driving the Island Hwy through Nanaimo at 5 am.
    Most years of course are routine and uneventful. Here's a pic before I drove to work that morning. Crazy day!

Cheers, Barrie.

Attached Files:

25. johnnyjumpup

Good video. Fantastic number of palms, etc.