British Columbia: Ipomoea batatas: sweet potatoes

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Vancouver Island, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Vancouver Island

Vancouver Island Active Member

Has anyone had any experience (luck) growing Ipomoea batatas or sweet potatoes? I have started sprouting an organic sweet potato in my kitchen window and it looks beautiful. My understanding is that the sprouting vines are used to start new plants.

Living along the coast keeps the garden on the cool side. Does this plant have much hope of success here? Also, what size should the sprouts be when taken from the potatoe? Should they be planted in late June?

2. Vancouver Island

Update: I have taken 4 sprouts off one sweet potato and they are now rooting under T5 lights.

Vesey's Seeds in PEI are now selling sweet potato rooted cuttings. (6 plants for $14.95). Not cheap, but ... I just got their catalog. PEI has similar cool coastal summers like Vancouver Island. Many of their products work well here I have found.

3. Vancouver Island

Attached are some pictures of sweet potato cuttings. I have planted them in paper towel/toilet paper tubes to keep the roots separated. The first set have rooted well. This is the second set.

The first picture is of the rooting sweet potato plant that the cuttings come from. A bulb vase works well for this. It is sitting in a bright kitchen window.

The second picture shows cuttings used.

The third picture shows the cuttings in the tubes for rooting.

These tubes will biodegrade in the garden when planted sometime in early June. They will probably go into a hot frame if the weather is cool.

Attached Files:

4. emandeli

emandeli Member

Hi,

I love the pics. I also live on VI and love yams and sweet potatoes. I am a newbie gardener but I would love to hear how you make out with them. I also saw the Veseys catalogue but feel I shouldn't order (for s.potatoes) until I know how to grow them :) Please post an update when there is one! Good luck!

5. Vancouver Island

emandeli
    Just to let you know, they are currently thriving under my T5 lights. What I am amazed at is just how slow they grow. The first group started in December are now starting new leaves on stocky plants.

The second set started in January 2010 seem to be a little slow off the mark, but are making progress. I planted this group in paper tubes (paper towel rolls and toilet paper rolls) to encourage roots to grow downward rather than outword. This is apparently important for some plants. I don't like the peat containers much. I find they keep the roots inside the contain too much and don't break down very fast. The rolls may not stand up to well, but will encourage the downward growth need. Hope it works!

The mother plants (potatoes purchased at the grocery store) are also rather slow to produce 2" sprouts. You should try sprouting a plant in your window (some people poke toothpicks in the side of the potato and place it in an fruit jar of appropriate size). Gaining experience is fun and part of the learning process. Sweet potatoes make beautiful plants even if you don't try planting them outside!