Identification: Help - What is this?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by chopx2, Jan 6, 2010.

1. chopx2

chopx2 Member

This Tree/plant has been in our office for years and it neither seems to die or thrive. I am unsure of the proper care and since I don't know what it is I can't look it up either.

There only ever seem to be one set of top limbs and when it starts to grow new ones the lower ones wither and drop off.

Please see attached pics.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Looks like a Norfolk Pine.

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Either Araucaria columnaris or Araucaria heterophylla.

Needs more (a lot more!) light, some fresh soil, and probably more root space too. That one is not really 'rescuable', best would be to discard it and get a new one.

4. leaf kotasek

leaf kotasek Active Member

no! don't kill it! i'm sure someone in your area would want to try to save your tree! i would, but i'm way over on vancouver island.

5. chopx2

chopx2 Member

Thanks, someone suggested it was a Norfolk Island Pine, but it looks so different than the pictures I see, limbs/needles droop rather than grow upward like in the photos...guess maybe thats because it's in such poor state. As for killing it...many have tried (short of uprooting or cutting) so I think I'll try to get it more sun and repot it in something larger and with new soil and see if it remains a survivor...thanks for the info.

We've had this plant around for years and sometimes it looks better than this.

What about feeding it?

Thanks for the help.

6. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

7. Steve H

Steve H Active Member

I've never seen one where the active leader has given up like this! It really looks like it's on it's last legs....or leg! There is only the last tier of branches alive which makes it look weird. I agree with one poster, get another one, this looks beyond redemption especially if the apical growing point has failed.

8. James D.

James D. Active Member

If you throw it away it will be much better off, it is sufferiung now and needs to be put out of its misery.