Identification: identify a plant

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by lrose, Jan 5, 2010.

1. lrose

lrose Member

I have this plant that I don't know what it is or how to care for it can someone help me out Thanks

Attached Files:

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Welcome to the Forum!
    Looks like a Philodendron...perhaps bipinnatifidum? Beautiful plant.

3. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

I'd say Togata got it. This is an aroid and a member of Philodendron subgenus Meconostigma which includes all the Philodendron species known as the "tree Philodendron". Philodendron bipinnatifidum can become more than 100 feet tall provided it is supported by a tree but in North Carolina the chances are 6 or 7 feet is as big as it will ever grow. If you examine the stem (central axis of the plant) you'll likely see what appears to be a "tree trunk" forming but the plant is not a tree.

This species prefers bright indirect light but can do just fine in full sunlight for part of the day. I've grown as many as 60 or 70 plants in our front yard when we lived in Florida all in direct sun since they are popular South Florida landscape plants. Keep the soil evenly moist but never soggy. A few weeks a year of drier conditions js fine but the plant will love you more if you water it on a regular basis. Fertilize monthly with a dilute fertilizer and keep it in fairly bright light. Meconostigma love magnesium so give it a feeding about once each month of Epsom's salt (1 tablespoon per gallon of water). This species is tough to kill and from the look of the specimen I'd say you are doing just fine.

A specimen is capable of producing a beautiful inflorescence, normally in the spring. You can see one at the link below. This link will probably tell you more than you want to know:

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Philodendron bipinnatifidum pc.html

4. Nandan Kalbag

Nandan Kalbag Active Member

Is it Philodendron selloum?

5. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Both the names Philodendron bipinnatifidum and Philodendron selloum were considered different species and were accepted scientifically until 1990 when Philodendron expert aroid botanist Dr. Simon Mayo of the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew in England documented both "species" were actually a single species with multiple growth forms. Philodendron selloum is a natural variation and each produces identical cataphylls as well as inflorescences with only minor differences. A cataphyll is the bract-like modified leaf which surrounds any newly developing leaf and whose purpose is to protect an emerging blade as it develops while the inflorescence is the reproductive organ of an aroid most collectors incorrectly call a "flower". Instead it is a group of tiny flowers which grow along the spadix at the spathe's center.

The two had been differentiated previously since they were only slightly different. Differences in growth form (leaf shape) often causes confusion, especially among non-scientists. Think of the dilemma this way: there are many "growth forms" of human beings but only one species. Just because an individual has a larger body, smaller head, very thin legs, or is of a different race or skin color does not mean that person is a different "species"! Some plant growers have a difficult time accepting such a concept when it comes to plants. For some reason commercial sellers still prefer the name "Philodendron selloum" but the plant is now accepted as Philodendron bipinnatifidum with the name Philodendron selloum sunk into synonymy and no longer the accepted name.

If you are interested you can learn about natural variation here: http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Natural variation within aroid and plant species.html