Identification: Two new plants - and cat safety

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by wheatie, Jan 5, 2010.

1. wheatie

wheatie Member

I just got these 2 new plants. I'm pretty sure one is a Dracaena Massangeana, and all the tag on the other one said was 'assorted palm'. (Sobeys was having a sale)

I know that the Dracaena, if thats what it is, is listed as toxic to cats, but from what I have come accross, it's more of a 'they eat a little bit and puke it up, and would have to eat several leaves to suffer any serious troubles from the plant' kind of plant. My cats show almost no interest in any of my plants, but I've been careful to look for ones that are not dangerous to them. I even bought them a package of catgrass a few weeks ago, and they don't even touch it. I've caught one cats kind of batting away at the leaves of my ficus one day, but never biting.

Anyways, if someone can help me identify these plants definitely, I'll do my research and see if they should be returned.

Thanks in advance!!!

Attached Files:

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

The other is a Parlour Palm - Chamaeodora elegans. You have nothing to worry about with cat safety and the palm - kitties might nibble it but it will do more damage the the plant than it will to them.

The Dracaena is mildly toxic to cats, but not fatal. Symptoms include: drooling, fast heart and pupil dilation, unsteady and weak, vomiting, breathing trouble, and off food. I'd keep it out of their reach if they're chewers - or, let them nibble it a bit and see how fast they learn.

My cat's a veggie hound, and she learned very quickly to stay out of the Aroids and the Dracs. I also grow her her own spider plants, which she is free to eat as much as she wants.

3. wheatie

wheatie Member

Thank you very much!

This place is so great.... I don't know how I'd ever figure out what kind of plants I had if I wasn't able to have people identify pictures! Kinda hard to type a description of a plant into google.

:)

4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

The palm does not appear to be a parlor palm; it looks more like Ravenea rivularis, Majesty Palm.

5. wheatie

wheatie Member

What would be the best way to tell the difference?

6. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

The relatively large size of the base of the plant suggests something other than parlour palm. My guess was based on that and the overall look of the plant. Closeups of the plant may help readers in confirming its identity.

7. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Your palm does appear to be a Majesty. or something else that's similar:) Besides the larger base as junglekeeper suggested, the Parlor Palm, (Chamaedorea elegans) also has different looking fronds/leaves that are wider in the middle and shorter in length compared to yours.

Parlor Palm

Attached Files:

8. wheatie

wheatie Member

Hmmm.... my leaves do seem alot longer and skinnier than the ones in that last picture.

Here are a couple more pictures. I hope this helps. Sorry for the poor quality, I'm using my webcam built into my laptop. If you guys really need a GOOD picture, let me know and I'll dig out my camera.

Attached Files:

9. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

I stand corrected! However, it's still OK for your cats to nibble it.

10. wheatie

wheatie Member

Ok, I couldn't wait. Do these better, more clear pictures help?

Attached Files:

11. kimberlyhope

kimberlyhope Active Member

I agree with Majesty Palm. It looks just like mine.